What's new

Another shell casing ID

baspinall

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
2,465
Reaction score
846
Golden Thread
1
Location
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this a couple weeks ago. The second set of shells I also found in the same spot.

Brian
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0006_01 [50%] [50%].webp
    DSC_0006_01 [50%] [50%].webp
    38.8 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC_0007_01 [50%] [50%].webp
    DSC_0007_01 [50%] [50%].webp
    26 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC_0010 [50%] [50%].webp
    DSC_0010 [50%] [50%].webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC_0009 [50%] [50%].webp
    DSC_0009 [50%] [50%].webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC_0018 [50%] [50%].webp
    DSC_0018 [50%] [50%].webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC_0016 [50%] [50%].webp
    DSC_0016 [50%] [50%].webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC_0021 [50%] [50%].webp
    DSC_0021 [50%] [50%].webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 404
first one may be a 38 long ? sec looks to be 1903 springfield ?
 
Upvote 0
Head stamp on the clip shells are F A 20. Wouldn't it be Frankford Arsenal?
 
Upvote 0
FA 20 is indeed Frankford Arsenal 1920, I thought based on what I could see that it read AO once I blew the pic up I now see it reads FA 20.

Mike
USAF Retired
 
Upvote 0
Your first casing appears to be a .50-caliber. I recently made an error here at TN by "eyeball guess-timating" a casing's diameter based only on a photo. So to avoid ever repeating that error, I'll say plainly here that you MUST provide an extra-precise measurement of that casing's diameter (a teeny bit above the base-rim) for certainty about its ID.

That being said, in your photo it appears to be a "Martin's Primer" .50-70 Government rifle's cartridge-casing. Note the unusually wide primer "disc" -- which despite its appearance isn't actually an external primer. See the photos and info here, which says this type of .50-70 casing was made between 1869 and 1871: http://www.oldammo.com/november06.htm
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Never saw that primer before.
 
Upvote 0
The second photo is a stripper clip of 30-06 blanks, intended for the model 1906 Springfield rifle, used by American troops in WWI, and even saw some use in WWII.
 
Upvote 0
Yep blanks. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • pix155224396.webp
    pix155224396.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 579
Upvote 0
BosnMate said:
The second photo is a stripper clip of 30-06 blanks, intended for the model 1906 Springfield rifle, used by American troops in WWI, and even saw some use in WWII.




well got sec pics right, no clue on the first but it is all good
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom