Another way to clean a Buffalo

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I tried another way to clean a buffalo this afternoon. I happen to have some Barkeepers Friend in my shop.
After reading about using the baking soda and water to rub coins I thought I would give it a shot with the Barkeepers Friend.
I have a sign shop and when I need to clean up a mess on a "delicate" sign I use water and the barkeepers.

I poured some in my hand and dripped in some water. I lightly rubbed it on both sides of the nickel I found over the weekend.
With the date completely worn away it wasn't a real treasure. I was impressed with the change in the color.
I may take a little more to it later. I only did it for about 25 or 30 seconds. I had take a pic this morning, and so here is a before and after.

Anyone have any thoughts as to whether this could hurt a keeper?

thanks,

Attachments

• buffalo.jpg
    buffalo.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 903
OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I always get it in the Grocery Store. I used to use Bon Ami for the same things here in the shop, but switched to Barkeepers friend when they all quiet carrying the other. It is pretty gentle on most things. I see on the website that the copper glo verson has sulfamic acid in it.
I had to look it up on Wikipedia. While use in sweeteners, I hesitate to taste it.

The appropriate part of the article :

Sulfamic acid is used as an acidic cleaning agent, typically for metals and ceramics. It is a replacement for hydrochloric acid for the removal of rust. In households, it is often found as a descaling agent in detergents used for removal of limescale. From all acid, Sulfamic acid has the best water descaling property, thus also its application in cleaning dairy farm equipment and beer brewery. Although it is considered less corrosive than hydrochloric acid, in its application as acid cleaning, it is very common to find user adding corrosion inhibitor.

Sulfamic acid is used in the S.C. Johnson & Sons, Inc. "Scrubbing Bubbles Fizz-Its Toilet Tablets."

Catalyst for esterification process
Dye and pigment manufacturing
Herbicide
Ingredient in Denture Tablets
Coagulator for urea-formaldehyde resins
Ingredient in fire extinguishing media. Sulfamic acid is the main raw material for Ammonium_sulfamate which is a widely used herbicide and fire retardant material for household product.
Pulp and paper industry as a chloride stabilizer
Synthesis of nitrous oxide by reaction with nitric acid

Doesn't seem to say if there is any in the the Barkeeper's Friend......

good luck.
Mp

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Did a little more looking at BarKeeps. The active acid in it is Oxalic Acid Dihydrate. A "mild strong acid"
It would be worth taking a look at the acid's properties etc. BEFORE using it on anything particularly valuable.

good luck,
MP

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the prefered method.

Attachments

• WashingBuffalo.jpg
    WashingBuffalo.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 853
OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Oh Crap! Hold on a minute!!!!! Just took another look!!! That doesn't work with American Buffalo! It only works on Water Buffalo!!
Whew, that was close!! Nearly damaged one of mine.
Mp

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time you use any kind of corrosive you should drop it in bakeing soda and water to stop the process.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mpostma said:
Did a little more looking at BarKeeps. The active acid in it is Oxalic Acid Dihydrate. A "mild strong acid"
It would be worth taking a look at the acid's properties etc. BEFORE using it on anything particularly valuable.

good luck,
MP

I think this is also called "Wood Bleach" and it will take rust stains off of dug Gold Coins. :wink:

OP
OP
mpostma

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey BB,
I think you are right. I wood bleach too. They are in diffent forms, one a powder, the other a liquid. I will have to experiment a little with the wood bleach on some of the crappe I haven't taken the time to go through yet this winter.

Good Luck,
Mark

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bar keepers friend can be found at the Dollar Gereral stores.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread