Antique GOLD Ring with a huge BLOODSTONE :-)

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Hey everyone..

Went off in search of a "new" colonial site to hunt. Knew it was somewhere in the woods.. so after walking around and looking for a look time I find it.. so over grown with stickers it is unhuntable.. so I was hitting the road up to it.. with in 50 feet of the ruins.. when I got that low VDI range of numbers which usually are shotgun shells.. so... dig the hole.. and out pops this ring! In 19 years.. this is my first solid gold ring.

Any idea what the stone is?? An Opal of some sort???

MonkeyBoy

**UPDATE** I sent pictures to some friends who happen to be jewelers.. and it is a bloodstone.. circa 1870.. ;-) and it is a man's ring.. that was the fashion at the time.. it will have to stay in my case not on my finger!! ;-)

Attachments

• ring4.jpg
    ring4.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 942
  • ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 947
Upvote 0
Re: If you only find one thing.. a antique GOLD Ring with a huge stone is it!!!

Wow that's a nice one too! Pretty!

It is beautiful! A black fire opal perhaps? Sure is nice to look at! :thumbsup: Congrats!!

I was just going to say fire opal also but you beat me to it. I think thats what it is. Great ring!! :thumbsup:

Awesome find. I guess the wait was worth it. Sounds like you are on a good spot. :thumbsup:

That is absolutely gorgeous. I agree it's opal. I would guess black opal - the really, really expensive australian variety, not the bs type we find here. I can't read the marking - is it 18k?

Looks like your off to a great start.................. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Dugholes

Absolutely a black fire opal. They just had a special on finding those on the treasure hunter show the other day. It is the show with the new red headed girl as host.

Very nice find.

That is beautiful.....really beautiful. Congrats! Keep up the great work. ~HH~ :thumbsup:

SWEEEET Guzz1

Congrats on the sweet ring! :o

Either a black opal (doublet) or a high price bloodstone. Hard to say due to fuzziness of pix. In either case it is a great find.

great find

Very nice find. I think definitely, it is a Bloodstone - compare it to this one I have on a Fob Seal

Attachments

• wilson seal.jpg
    wilson seal.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 949

trikikiwi said:
Very nice find. I think definitely, it is a Bloodstone - compare it to this one I have on a Fob Seal

Thanks! That looks a lot more like it to me.. the only color I see in it is red... I could not find a fire opal that looked like it?? The stone is more green then it looks in the picture..

MonkeyBoy

Congrats on the ring, it's very nice, great find :thumbsup:
Glenn

Awesome and beautiful ring !!!!!!!! and 18k to boot, great find for sure :thumbsup:

there ie words / letters inside --I see B L--- what is the full marking inside the band? it could help date time frame wise / id its maker or "past" owner in history . very nice -- looks like bloodstone or fire opal --but if I remember correctly (polished) opals can get screwed up easy by getting wet with water (being in the soil & rain whould have messed up an opal )-- so I'd go with blood stone --- Ivan

Congratulations that's a beauty! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back