What's new

Antique ring?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
I brought this to a jeweler and he did some kind of sampling of the metal and said it wasn't silver and most likely antique. He told me to bring it to a coin collector. Anyone have any idea how old this ring is?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0285.webp
    IMG_0285.webp
    22.3 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0286.webp
    IMG_0286.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0287.webp
    IMG_0287.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0288.webp
    IMG_0288.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0289.webp
    IMG_0289.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 322
That's an old one. Those are actually little stones around where the large one was. They are very cool stones but, for the life of me cannot remember what they are. I found a silver one with these all over it.The jeweler said it was from the 1920's. The large stone looks like amber or glass. Someone will give an ID shortly. Mike
 
Upvote 0
The small black stones look like marcasite.
Scott

From an online website....

The Marcasite is a natural stone (iron pyrite),
which fascinates by its sparkling golden appearance.
It became famous in the 16th century,
when it decorated the doors of the Incas' Temple of the Sun.
Today, Marcasite stones are most often
set on silver jewelry, figurines and fashion accessories.

Round Cut MarcasitesStones


1mm Round Cut MarcasitesStones.
Reg $ 1.05 ea or $7.50 per dozen
Our price $0.70 ea or $5.00 per dozen
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
That's an old one. Those are actually little stones around where the large one was. They are very cool stones but, for the life of me cannot remember what they are. I found a silver one with these all over it.The jeweler said it was from the 1920's. The large stone looks like amber. Someone will give an ID shortly. Mike
I agree. TOC When I get a chance, Ill search my book.
 
Upvote 0
Most likely plated originally. Marcasite as already stated. Bezel set glass, or amethyst. Being plated I would go with Victorian or later.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like costume jewelry.
 
Upvote 0
I would guess the large 'stone' is actually glass.
That fits with the lesser quality of the rest of the ring.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
It looks like costume jewelry.

Thats what I think as well, those little stone things look very modern.
 
Upvote 0
Marcasite aka Marquisite was huge in the 1800s and earlier. You can find a lot of old brooches made of this, and most of em are set in age dirty black sterling silver. You could not give it away in the 1950s- to 1990s. Now its very fashionable. A lot of it loks like glass or diamonds but not quite but is passed up as glass and you can find a bargain.
 
Upvote 0
The little stones are actually purple and seem to be the same material as the large stone. I dug it at a beach which I had found a 1900 indian head penny and some barber dimes and mercury dimes. So I suspect it is old but may not be worth much.
G
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom