What's new

Antique silver ring is todays find

lorraine

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
3,764
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Antique silver ring is today's find

Hi:hello:

Nice warm 50's day out there at mid-day; hunted the "flats' and wet sand slope.

Not much found way out , but on the way back to the car, I decided to go a few rows at the top of the slope where there appeared to be a minor cut ...not from any wash out, but rather from trucks moving sand along a path.

This is where I found a pretty antique silver ring....(too bad the band is broken)

There is no visible stamping on the band, but acid test proved + for silver.

The ring was heavily tarnished and difficult to clean, but I zapped it so as to see the flower pattern.

I had difficulty finding symmetry in the pattern, but then was able to make out the mirror image of the stones and swirl pattern.

Someone suggested that this ring is "ART DECO " style. Here is some info on this style of jewelry:

Art Deco is a style that emerged in 1925, a result of exhibits at the World's Fair held in Paris, France. The term Art Deco is a shortened form of the event's name: Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels Modernes (International Exposition of Modern Industrial and Decorative Arts). Art Deco remained popular until about the mid 1930s, and gained a new following in the 1980s forward.
[h=3]What are the characteristics of Art Deco style?:[/h]Art Deco influenced all designs of the period, from automobiles to homes to skyscrapers to clothing. And jewelry, of course. Geometrics play a big part in the Art Deco look -- circles, triangles, squares and rectangles, often woven together to create intricate designs.


DSCF2249.webp

Could not find much info on the Bus token except that the company is now defunct.

Here's a couple of pics ( Mickey Mouse pendant was found a few days ago)

As always, thanks for looking

Lorraine
 

Attachments

  • DSCF2219.webp
    DSCF2219.webp
    58.6 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCF2220.webp
    DSCF2220.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF2245.webp
    DSCF2245.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF2223.webp
    DSCF2223.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF2251.webp
    DSCF2251.webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Grtz on more finds ...you must have some treasure room by now
 
You are on fire - platinum, gold, silver. I am, as usual, quite envious.
 
Nice touch on the AG keys.

Keep em' coming.

Pete
 
Nice what you mean by cut?
 
Very nice finds
clapping.gif
Congratulations
thumbsup.gif

The pictures
good.gif

hi.gif
Lorraine, happy hunting next hunt
ani_tiphat.gif
 
Someone is a roll with the treasure!
Very nice silver ring.

I bet a jeweler could fix that ring up for ya so you
could wear it.
 
Nice what you mean by cut?

As I understand it, a "cut" is when there is erosion in the beach from either a storm when the high wave action eats into the beach area and sweeps a substantial amount of beach sand off the beach and into the water.

It is where the treasures have sunk so deep that one cannot easily detect them with the usual beach sand piled on top of them, so looking for "cuts" is one of the first things I do when approaching a beach.

Now, the "cut" in the photo that I posted is not a true cut by the above explanation...it was higher up on the beach away from the high tide line, and was made by trucks plowing the sand on the beach in an effort to make the beach more presentable after the recent storms, but it was all I could find at the time.:dontknow:

I have found treasures in this "plowed around" sand.

I hope explanation helps you.

There are many more knowledgeable, experienced members on this forum who could give a more in depth explanation; if they read this post, maybe they will kindly take the time to add their opinions.

HH

Lorraine
 
Someone is a roll with the treasure!
Very nice silver ring.

I bet a jeweler could fix that ring up for ya so you
could wear it.

I'm thinking about it, njal...I do like this antique ring.

Lorraine
 
Nice ring from the "cut".
 
with a bit more time on my hands I can see now why you like to polish up your silvers - I took some time last night to clean up an old claddagh ring - weird for me to sit still long enough - I really enjoyed it - just the shine coming from a lost / found blackened treasure - was something relaxing about it :)
nice oldie -
 
Love the ring...
 
Thank you Lorraine im new to the Pi world and not quite seasoned at the beach yet. I swinging a sand shark so far its not bad. But ive yet to hit a ring on the beach lol. Ive hit manny at parks though. Guess theres much science to beach hunten. Thanks again HH
 
I wish you the best out there, Trackerman.

Lorraine
 
Great way to end the Hunt!!:icon_thumright:


SnT
 
Thanks Lorraine its good to know theres people like you on this forum. HH
 
Lorraine The Gray Line Bus Co. is from Bridgeport Connecticut and according to by transportation book they made tokens from 1939 till 1951 , not sure when they quit or if they did, hope this helps.
 
Lorraine The Gray Line Bus Co. is from Bridgeport Connecticut and according to by transportation book they made tokens from 1939 till 1951 , not sure when they quit or if they did, hope this helps.

Thank you for the info, Chris...much appreciated.

Lorraine
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom