What's new

Anvil tool?

baspinall

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
2,465
Reaction score
846
Golden Thread
1
Location
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today along with some colonial finds. Reminds me of a wedge type clamp used in the holes in top of an anvil?

Brian
 

Attachments

  • Vermont Copper Site 007 [50%].webp
    Vermont Copper Site 007 [50%].webp
    37.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Vermont Copper Site 008 [50%].webp
    Vermont Copper Site 008 [50%].webp
    43 KB · Views: 233
  • Vermont Copper Site 009 [50%].webp
    Vermont Copper Site 009 [50%].webp
    42.7 KB · Views: 226
  • Vermont Copper Site 010 [50%].webp
    Vermont Copper Site 010 [50%].webp
    42 KB · Views: 240
That is one neat find baspinal. I think the trouble with the anvil angle is that the hardie hole is square and the prichel hole is round (and there's not much else to fit this rectangular end into). I have no idea what it is. Was the rectangle broken off something larger? I'm just asking because it almost looks like a stud to drive into wood for dragging a sledge maybe (but you'd think the stud end would be longer?)
 
Upvote 0
I don't think it's a hardy or pritchel hole tool either.
I would guess a decorative or accent nail/spike to
driven into a door or beam.
A short soak in muriatic acid and water will reveal
whether its made of wrought iron, will show a
course long fibrous texture, used thru late 1800s,
or a smoother tighter texture indicating more
modern steel. Could even be cast. It appears to be
hand forged. Interesting piece though.
good find.

Hay2
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom