What's new

Any boat anchor experts .... Solved

Mike in Berks

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2007
Messages
647
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Hi all i found this boat anchor like 9 or 10 yrs ago at Jeff of Pa's treasure lake
i did'nt have a computer or know of T Net back then An now i'd like to see if
i can get any information on it ?? I'm pretty sure it's brass - doesn't stick to
a magnet And i put all the measuements in the photos As far as the numbers on it
upper 95456 lower 12 - RV - 20 It weighs 14 1/2 lbs. on the bathroom scale
Can anyone here tell me what those numbers mean Like who made it, when
did they make it, and how old is it ? ?
IMG_6695_2.webp

IMG_6698_2.webp

Actually i found a large one which is the one above and a "small one" which does not
stick to a magnet I donated that one to Jeffs museum Here is 2 photos of that one

anchor01.webp
anchor02.webp

As you can see very similar but, no numbers
Are these collectable ? Is there a web site somewhere with this one in it ?
Any and all information is greatly appreciated !! Mike
 
no need to apologize Rando the web site you you provided put me in the right
direction for researching manganese, etc. the photo was very similar to mine too
i did learn they add manganese to steel to make it harder then i tried the file
and grinder test this morning which showed me it's a pretty soft metal
drag line, dredge, or a shovel - all similar uses what i really learned from this is
it's not an "anchor" it's a tooth and i would'nt have known it without everyones help :thumbsup:

you guys are really good !! Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

bigcypresshunter said:
I thought Manganese was a very lightweight metal. I guess there are all kinds of different alloys.


BC U maybe confusing Manganese with Magnesium the latter used in lightweight apps such as 50/60s car wheels Many today moto-X Bike parts etc.

mag=12 on the periodic table sodium ← magnesium → aluminium
mang=25 on the periodic table chromium ← manganese → iron

so with the above U can see adding it to steel/iron makes a formidable earth/dirt cutter.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

goldguru said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I thought Manganese was a very lightweight metal. I guess there are all kinds of different alloys.


BC U maybe confusing Manganese with Magnesium the latter used in lightweight apps such as 50/60s car wheels Many today moto-X Bike parts etc.

mag=12 on the periodic table sodium ← magnesium → aluminium
mang=25 on the periodic table chromium ← manganese → iron

so with the above U can see adding it to steel/iron makes a formidable earth/dirt cutter.
OK thanks. Yes I think im confusing it with Magnesium. :icon_thumright: Now it makes sense.

I have a Magnesium ladder from the 50's. Very lightweight. They used to make lawn mower bodies also from Magnesium. Also the shavings are very flammable.
 
Upvote 0
Those sure look like they would be bucket teeth but I have operated , worked on and cut up heavy equipment on and off for over 20 years and have never seen that style tooth on any bucket even very old shovel fronts.
What is odd about them is the open sides. All bucket teeth i have seen cover all four sides of the tooth adapter. If they are bucket teeth I would like to know what they are off of.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom