What's new

Any boat anchor experts .... Solved

Mike in Berks

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2007
Messages
647
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Hi all i found this boat anchor like 9 or 10 yrs ago at Jeff of Pa's treasure lake
i did'nt have a computer or know of T Net back then An now i'd like to see if
i can get any information on it ?? I'm pretty sure it's brass - doesn't stick to
a magnet And i put all the measuements in the photos As far as the numbers on it
upper 95456 lower 12 - RV - 20 It weighs 14 1/2 lbs. on the bathroom scale
Can anyone here tell me what those numbers mean Like who made it, when
did they make it, and how old is it ? ?
IMG_6695_2.webp

IMG_6698_2.webp

Actually i found a large one which is the one above and a "small one" which does not
stick to a magnet I donated that one to Jeffs museum Here is 2 photos of that one

anchor01.webp
anchor02.webp

As you can see very similar but, no numbers
Are these collectable ? Is there a web site somewhere with this one in it ?
Any and all information is greatly appreciated !! Mike
 
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

Mike, I don't know and I'm just tossing the idea that these might possibly be teeth to a scallop dredge?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

johnnyi said:
Mike, I don't know and I'm just tossing the idea that these might possibly be teeth to a scallop dredge?
You could be right johnnyi i guess the thing that has me thinking anchor
is the letters RV - recreational vehicle ? boat ? thanks for the reply
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

Mike, I don't think I'm right, the teeth on a scollop dredge are not as fancy as this. May possibly go to a dredge of some kind though, a clamshell digger, etc. ?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

Rando said:
I've been in and around boats my whole life, and I've never seen those....

:icon_scratch:
Rando I just pulled out the history book
Constructing the Big Dam started in 1860 finished in 1861
Then a big flood 1862 abandoned until 1922 - 23
They decided to rebuild They hired local residents with picks, shovels, horses, and wagons
In 1930 - 31 the dam was completed
If think i'm correct that local people used it for boating and swimming since 1922 - 23
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

johnnyi said:
Mike, I don't think I'm right, the teeth on a scollop dredge are not as fancy as this. May possibly go to a dredge of some kind though, a clamshell digger, etc. ?
johnnyi All these years i thought this was an item sold as an anchor
What i did learn though was all the years they were boating people used
what they had to use like window weights, cans filled with cement,
welded iron including this what's it i guess all i have is a 14lb piece of
brass from a piece of heavy equipment used as an anchor ?
wow, i'm way too slow just seen you're reply Rando piece from a steam
shovel sounds right :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

i guess all i have is a 14lb piece of
brass from a piece of heavy equipment used as an anchor..

If it is Brass then most likley a chain Guide or somthimg along those lines.
Brass does not make a good Cutting edge for buckets & other HD digging devices.

stick a small drill bit to it.
if a reg bit dulls in a few secs then yes tooth bit & Not brass.(Ive yet to see a cutting edge which a magnet would not stick to)
if you get nice easy yella chips then its Brass & some type or wear device.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

Mike, I'm sorry, I didn't read that it wasn't magnetic. I do't know now what it might be, unless it is a hard non-magnetic alloy. Some kind of replaceable anchor fluke might have been right all along.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

"ummm, yeah, (cringing from embarassment) me either...."

Rando, I think we should both hide on another forum until this blows over! ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

goldguru you say if a regular bit dulls in a few seconds then yes tooth bit
can you explain to me what a tooth bit is ? ?

Rando & johnnyi
i know your both trying to help me out i did ask for advice
and i do appreciate both your and anyone elses ideas
this was found in Schuylkill County,Pa. ( coal mine area )
a worker could have taken anything to anchor the boat
i guess the possibilities are endless

thanks for your help Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

Ok Google Manganese Bucket teeth

I wasnt sure But it does appear Manganese is Paramagnetic...

Manganese is a gray–white metal, resembling iron. It is a hard metal and is very brittle, fusible with difficulty, but easily oxidized.[1] Manganese metal and its common ions are paramagnetic.[2]

so U have a cutting tooth from some type of Bucket. dragline,clamshell pick your poison

which would exhibit the above as in failin a magnet test,due to its charactoristic's/total % of the Alloy in the cutting tooth.

Rando & Johnni had it right..

I only thought of the manganese part after..They used high% of it in Roll crushers to keep the crushed material from wearingout the center of the rollers.

when crushing gold/silver ore's.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

I thought Manganese was a very lightweight metal. I guess there are all kinds of different alloys.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

"I thought Manganese was a very lightweight metal. I guess there are all kinds of different alloys."

Big Cy, it is light, however manganese steel isn't light, and it is sometimes non-magnetic. Back when I scrapped railroad iron I'd have to cut the "frogs", turntables, and parts of the switches which were manganese steel. They were heavy, extrememly hard, and you couldn't even cut them with a regular torch; you had to blow iron filings in with flame to make a cut. The stuff does get a rust coat on the surface, but that first object looks pretty clean.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

johnnyi said:
"I thought Manganese was a very lightweight metal. I guess there are all kinds of different alloys."

Big Cy, it is light, however manganese steel isn't light, and it is sometimes non-magnetic. Back when I scrapped railroad iron I'd have to cut the "frogs", turntables, and parts of the switches which were manganese steel. They were heavy, extrememly hard, and you couldn't even cut them with a regular torch; you had to blow iron filings in with flame to make a cut. The stuff does get a rust coat on the surface, but that first object looks pretty clean.
OK thanks. I used to scrap aluminum and I sometimes got Manganese mixed up with it because it is similar to cast Aluminum in weight and appearance. Apparently Manganese with steel is quite different.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

Well this morning i used a file on this thing, and then a grinding wheel, and filed again
maaan, was i was totally wrong :-[ it looks silverish and seems to be pretty " soft "
IMG_6699_2.webp

IMG_6700_2.webp

goldguru after i asked you what a cutting tooth was i did google it but, nothing
looked similar


Rando thanks for the great link :thumbsup: looks very similar to mine
do you know if the example shown was used for industrial shredding ?

johnnyi i just seen your reply goldguru says manganese i used a file and a
grinder on it seemed to be pretty soft but, seems awful heavy for an
item with these dimentions

now i / we know it isn't an anchor :( and it isn't brass :(
from what i just read on google it has to be manganese steel
seems to me it's down to 2 things it could be
bucket, or drag line ? or industrial steel shredder ?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

It sure looks like a tooth from either a dragline bucket or a dipper shovel. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Any boat anchor experts ......

Based on Rando's link he provided :thumbsup: I'm convinced it's a cutting tooth
As i'm pretty sure thats as close as it's gonna get i'm ready to check mark it

Rando, johnnyi, and goldguru thanks for taking the time to help me with this :thumbsup:

I googled maganese steel prices and as a of September it was .65 cents a pound

I'm gonna donate this to Jeff of Pa's museum so he'll have 2 examples of these now

Thanks for all the help everyone !! An good luck diggin Mike
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
johnnyi thats a great diagram there :thumbsup: and i agree with you on
better odds of finding teeth to a drag line a tooth it is :D

thanks much !! Mike
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom