What's new

Any books on ghost towns on the east coast or south east?

neo

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2013
Messages
503
Reaction score
204
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed that about everything I've seen only covers old west ghost towns and I'm just wondering why only that region?
 
Don't put much stock in that list when it comes to Va . none of those places are ghost towns . I happen to live in one of them.
 
"Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey" and "More Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey" by Henry Charlton Beck are both excellent books. Most of the towns are "nothing left" ghost towns, but you can still find where they were with the books and a bit of research, and find the fingerprints of the old towns. These are in the Pine Barrens region of South Jersey (yeah, I know the region has a politically correct name now, but it will always be the Pine Barrens to me). Spend a day wandering and looking for the old towns, it is alot of fun.
 
I'm just generally curious why do most books only cover places out west?
 
I'm just generally curious why do most books only cover places out west?

Because the east is so much more heavily populated, ghost towns are often swallowed up by urban sprawl. Out west, things are a bit more spread out and ghost towns survive more easily. Plus, there was a lot of boom/bust activity (mostly mining) in the west.
 
Have you tried ghosttowns.com? Good stuff there.
 
I'll look.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom