What's new

Any chance this is a cut coin?

je177

Full Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2006
Messages
166
Reaction score
131
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
I know it's a long shot, but, is there a chance this is a cut coin? It's from a 1790's home site. I used a quarter for scale. It's nearly a perfect half circle as if cut. I can't make out any real detail. It's very hard. I tried to bend it and I couldn't. I didn't want to scratch at it but I think I can see shades of silver in it. Sorry for the terrible pic. I'm working on getting a better one.
 

Attachments

  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333603291.792361.webp
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333603291.792361.webp
    38.3 KB · Views: 86
Maybe it is one that was burned.
 
Upvote 0
It may be nothing, but it's odd how perfectly halved it is.
 
Upvote 0
it could be a cut coin, or washer or slug.....i wonder if that would be a good candidate for electrolysis....?
 
Upvote 0
I think if that if it were silver, it wouldn't look so bad. Let's say it's not silver, is there a coin of that size that it could be. It would only be a half inch maybe if it were complete. Thanks for all the info. Btw, the coin was located in MA.
 
Upvote 0
The older silver turns uncleanable black.They made change. Previous there were no coins. File side after olive oil and use 10x loop. could be trade silver, not coin. check weight and sound.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Here is a pewter button that would be like what I'm saying.Just have to imagine it being broke at the hole which is were the shank once was.At any point I know of no coin that size looking the way it does.IMHO
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
 

Attachments

  • 016.webp
    016.webp
    46.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 017.webp
    017.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 75
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom