Any guesses on how old this knife is that I found near my home in Texas?

Bergheimhunter

May 8, 2014
Bergheim , TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this knife on our property yesterday. It was in a hard to get to area under some trees, near one of our barns. We live in the Texas Hill Country (Bergheim) not too far from the Guadalupe river. A portion of our home was built about 125 years ago. I have recently started hunting for arrow heads and other "treasure" but all I ever find is old shot gun shells and tractor parts (oh, and a ton of gastropod fossils). I was happy to find this yesterday, even if it isn't all that old. Thanks for your input!

IMG_2463.jpg IMG_2467.jpg IMG_2468.jpg IMG_2469.jpg IMG_2464.jpg IMG_2465.jpg IMG_2466.jpg

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first hunting/fishing knife looked just like that (back in the 70's) I know that style had been around for quite a while and it may be hard to accurately date, but I'd guess 1950's or later? If there is anything left on the markings on the blade that might help narrow it down. It looks like you might be able to clean the rust off, polish it up and put an edge back on it. Nice find!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bergheimhunter

May 8, 2014
Bergheim , TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, NOLA Ken! This gives me a better idea about the age of the knife. I did clean it up a bit with white vinegar, but do not see a mark. I'll just add it to my collection of junk found around the house. :thumbsup:. I appreciate your input.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a knife with the same handle marked USN that has to predate WWII, and I used to own a Marbles hunting knife that looked
like your find, and that one was probably pre 40's. Marbles knives were being made in the 1890's until now, and my swag is
from the style of leather grip on your knife.
marbles knife.jpg

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a Western Co. knife from the 1940's-1950's. Had one like it, but lost it somewhere(not close to you). Nice knife. Keep hunting, the native american stuff will be in fields or elevated places up from the river. Try under big old oaks or pecan trees. Set up a big screen on a wooden frame, shovel a big scoop of dirt onto it, dirt should mostly fall through, points, scrapers, etc. should be left. I'd show you, but I have an operation Thursday, then one in a couple of weeks. Even if successful, I'll be down 6 months or more...

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a knife with the same handle marked USN that has to predate WWII, and I used to own a Marbles hunting knife that looked
like your find, and that one was probably pre 40's. Marbles knives were being made in the 1890's until now, and my swag is
from the style of leather grip on your knife.
View attachment 1001621

The USN did not have any such marked knives before WW2, and those with the USN mark were made after 1942. The OP's knife pommel (butt), guard, and blade style indicate German manufacture, probably 1960s and newer. I do like finding knives, but they are usually too rusted out to get the maker's name off them for absolute positive ID.

Upvote 0

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bergheimhunter!! I have one exactly like it and obtained it in the late 50's. Nice little knife and mine is still in good shape!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Upvote 0

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, can you check the bottom of your knife's handle to see if that knob maybe unscrews? I found something yesterday that looks an awful lot like the end of your knife, and if yours unscrews and is threaded, I'd say I have an ID. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread