any help appreciated with stuff ive found

Gnomey

Greenie
May 30, 2008
any help appreciated with stuff i've found

these were found in the field behind my house. (southwest, Ohio) can you tell what period its from or anything about them? any help is appreciated!!! :)

IM000035.jpg

IM000038.jpg

IM000087.jpg

is it just a marble or could it be gameball artifact?? I found it near an old homesite, but then i found a couple broken peices of arrowheads there too. looks like its made of stone under handheld microscope.
IM000060.jpg

is this a flint chip? how do you tell if its a knapped chip or naturally chipped flint? i found lots of them in one spot.
IM000085.jpg

thanks!!!

Upvote 0

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
Re: any help appreciated with stuff i've found

Nice finds....

I used to look at a couple books quite a while ago (years).
This may not be any better than a guess but, id guess woodland era.

I used to get whipped up about those flakes too. You just never know for sure. but i can picture them being carried around to be worked during some down time.

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks Woodland to me too, and the top one is a localized Chert, the flake is just that, but AWESOME FINDS NONE THE LESS :thumbsup:

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

Looks like a woodland stemmed point, a core, a late 1800's period clay marble and a flake tool. A site worth revisiting frequently.

Atlantis

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007

That first point looks like classic four mile chert. NIce finds.
Chuck

Ohio_Doug

Dec 5, 2007
Southeast Ohio

I agree the point looks woodland/adena. The second piece is a scraper/blade. The third is probably a flake from where they were making other points or tools (hence why you found alot in one spot). I would sift the crap out of that place, nice finds!

OP
OP
G

Gnomey

Greenie
May 30, 2008

thanks guys for the replies. chuck??? how did you guess that?? i live only a few miles from four mile. yer good!

ohio doug- would you sift below where the plow reaches? the farmer didnt plow this year, he disced and planted soy, but i found the mother load of those flakes on the very edge of the field, so i think i can get away with diggin there.

BTW (if you havent already stumbled across it yerselfs) check out this map i found online of ohio mounds, they are EVERYWHERE!!! wow!!
http://www.gustavslibrary.com/mounddistributionmap.jpg

well im gonna go look some more!!!

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007

Gnomey, it just looks classic for the type of lithic. I have quite a few points made of it and I would be willing to bet they were found right near you. My buddy lives in Richmond IN and we (before he started making babies) would hunt a lot in that area. In fact the point in my Avitar was found up near Richmond. Good luck out there.
Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread