What's new

Any Help figuring the silver content

freddy williams

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
885
Reaction score
92
Golden Thread
0
Location
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1949 King Edward Equisite silverware set silver plated on 18% nickol so if my spoon weighs 42.8 grams on 18% nickol is the silver content 35.096 grams silver. AM I doing this the right way Thanks freddy
 
If 1/2 cup of molten silver weighs the same as 1/2 cup of molten nickel, then I think you are correct. But you can easily realize that when comparing (say) 1/2 cup of mercury to the weight of 1/2 cup of water there is a difference in their weights--though their composition, by volume, is the same. Interesting question you pose; I look forward to reading the answer.
 
Upvote 0
It's not 18% nickel and 82% silver. The blank over which the silver plate is applied is 18% nickel silver. Nickel silver is composed roughly of 18% nickel / 17% zinc / 65% copper.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom