jrwill56
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Nov 1, 2008
- Messages
- 422
- Reaction score
- 194
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Chowan Co.
- Detector(s) used
- Bounty Hunter Pioneer 2000
White mark 11
- Primary Interest:
- Relic Hunting
jrwill56 said:Found this metal detecting on old farm,it is cast aluminum.a little over 5" long , has BTC on it

lol I think he meant a wire wheel.BioProfessor said:Welcome to Tnet. Can't wait to see you first coin post. Cleaned 'er up with a grinder aye?
Daryl


I have to double your experience Daryl, had exactly the same experience with a farmer last year in England. He said yea, down by the river I saw this nice thing, I will show you... and went to get it in his house (we were at his farm at the time). He also came out with a really really beautiful bronze axe.... nice and shiny. We had almost heart failure, all four of us! It was really a top find, no corrosion, just perfect, and perfectly cleaned. Maybe with a grinder brush also, that works the best with those old things...everyone should do that...BioProfessor said:Just messing with you JR. We've all done our share of "I knew I shouldn't have done that." and we just have to joke about how things get cleaned up. I was in the UK once and a farmer said he had found a big Bronze age ax. These are EXTREMELY rare and valuable. He asked if we wanted to see it. We said "Of course." He goes in the barn and brings out this nice SHINY bronze ax. Looked like a new penny. Value now - $0.
No doubt you would do the right thing with a known valuable item.
Since you say it was cast aluminum, here's some trivia. When they finished the Washington Monument in 1884, they wanted to cap the pyramid top with something special. They decided to use the most valuable/expensive metal there was to make the final "block." That metal, in 1884, was aluminum.
Daryl
but for some reason your lighting is showing an annoying reflection. Are you using a flash? You will find that taking pictures outside with flash OFF will produce the best pics. If you must take indoors, use halogen lighting with camera flash off and watch your shadows.
...but for some reason your lighting is showing an annoying reflection. You cant even read the numbers on your rule. Are you using a flash? You will find that taking pictures outside with flash OFF will produce the best pics. If you must take indoors, use overhead lighting (halogen preferred) with camera flash off and watch your shadows.