What's new

Any idea on the age of this axe head?

Charmin

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
2,284
Reaction score
282
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone tell me approx. when an axe head like this was made? This is one of my first finds with my new Ace 250. I found the axe near an old foundation(the age of the foundation is probably from late 1800's/early 1900's). But this foundation also sits on top of an Indian camp. With every hole we dug, we were pulling flint chips out of the dirt!
Could this be a really old trade axe? or just an axe from the homesteaders? Here's some pictures and thanks for looking and any info!
sandcreek
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5037.webp
    IMG_5037.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 382
  • metal detector finds 2010.webp
    metal detector finds 2010.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 500
  • metal detector finds 20101.webp
    metal detector finds 20101.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 492
It looks like a turn of the century Shingling Hatchet :wink:
 
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
It looks like a turn of the century Shingling Hatchet :wink:
Okay :thumbsup:--thanks so much, mojjax :hello: ! I just needed to know and make sure it wasn't really, really old! I had never found one shaped like this before and didn't even know what to call it.
sandcreek
 
Upvote 0
I find those a lot in mid 19th century sites
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
I find those a lot in mid 19th century sites
I have found a couple of double bitted axes but none shaped like this. The Ace 250 really screamed when I ran the coil over this! I thought it was going to be something really good :D.
Thanks kuger!
sandcreek
 
Upvote 0
sandcreek4 said:
kuger said:
I find those a lot in mid 19th century sites
I have found a couple of double bitted axes but none shaped like this. The Ace 250 really screamed when I ran the coil over this! I thought it was going to be something really good :D.
Thanks kuger!
sandcreek
That is good!!It might have a makers mark,if you take some fine grit sandpaper or a wire wheel,it might show,then you can research it.The double bit ax is a little later period than the 1850's sites I hunt
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
sandcreek4 said:
kuger said:
I find those a lot in mid 19th century sites
I have found a couple of double bitted axes but none shaped like this. The Ace 250 really screamed when I ran the coil over this! I thought it was going to be something really good :D.
Thanks kuger!
sandcreek
That is good!!It might have a makers mark,if you take some fine grit sandpaper or a wire wheel,it might show,then you can research it.The double bit ax is a little later period than the 1850's sites I hunt
I'll see if my husband can clean it up some for me. I guess I can't hurt it any, huh? :wink: It would be kinda neat to find a makers mark on it! Thanks again, kuger, for the advice!!!
 
Upvote 0
Constructive criticism. Don't ever use a wire wheel on any finds including iron, If there are any makers mark you would scour it off. You would be surprised at how iron scratches with a wire wheel. I'd be cautious about sand paper too.
 
Upvote 0
Here is one similar,1850's daguerreotype.
 

Attachments

  • man.webp
    man.webp
    14 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 0
lumbercamp said:
Constructive criticism. Don't ever use a wire wheel on any finds including iron, If there are any makers mark you would scour it off. You would be surprised at how iron scratches with a wire wheel.
I appreciate your opinion but I have done hundreds of picks and shovels over the years and have never ruined,a piece or lost a makers mark :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I tried a wire wheel a couple times and ruined the iron. I have cleaned tons of iron too in the last 38 years.
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Here is one similar,1850's daguerreotype.
I tell ya what--that man is ready to go to work and will probably shoot anyone who gets in his way! :laughing9: Cool picture, kuger! He kinda looks like a Quaker.
kuger said:
lumbercamp said:
Constructive criticism. Don't ever use a wire wheel on any finds including iron, If there are any makers mark you would scour it off. You would be surprised at how iron scratches with a wire wheel.
I appreciate your opinion but I have done hundreds of picks and shovels over the years and have never ruined,a piece or lost a makers mark :thumbsup:
Its okay, guys, I probably won't do a whole lotta cleaning on this, maybe just see if I can knock some of the loose, crusty stuff off.
Thanks again kuger and thanks lumbercamp!
sandcreek~~
 
Upvote 0
I havent been doing it for 38 years but I can bet I do more picks,axes and shovels in a year than five guys dig in a life time and as said I have never ruined ONE,maybe I have a special touch!!All your doing is taking of the first layer of rust....not shining it up.

Here is one I did yesterday....wouldnt say ruined?

And the take from last weekend waiting there turn
 

Attachments

  • pick.webp
    pick.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 288
  • picks.webp
    picks.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0
kuger said:
I havent been doing it for 38 years but I can bet I do more picks,axes and shovels in a year than five guys dig in a life time and as said I have never ruined ONE,maybe I have a special touch!!All your doing is taking of the first layer of rust....not shining it up.

Here is one I did yesterday....wouldnt say ruined?

And the take from last weekend waiting there turn
After you knock the rust off, kuger, do you seal them with something? That pick axe looks really good!
 
Upvote 0
Wow. I wish my iron was that clean when I dig it here. After sitting in the ground for over 100 years, some of my finds are coated in heavy rust. So thick that sometimes I chip it off with a hammer before I do electrolysis. You must have different soil that doesn't rust the iron so bad. Nice finds anyways.
 
Upvote 0
lumbercamp said:
Wow. I wish my iron was that clean when I dig it here. After sitting in the ground for over 100 years, some of my finds are coated in heavy rust. So thick that sometimes I chip it off with a hammer before I do electrolysis. You must have different soil that doesn't rust the iron so bad. Nice finds anyways.

Those picks have been in the ground for more like 160 years :thumbsup:Yes,the soil varies,some are badly pitted,and some at that point arent savable,but you would be amazed.I do use electrolosis as well but could not afford the power bill to all of the iron I do!! :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
I have some double bit axe heads that are way over 100 years old, and they look as good as those picks. I got them out in the woods of a Mckinley, Michigan lumbercamp. The soil there is very coarse quartz sand, because of that, any rain water drains very quickly and has no chance of setting around iron to rust pit them. All I did to clean mine was lightly wire wheel 'em. If an iron object was lost or tossed in a more compacted soil with a clay base, then moisture will definately hang around much longer a corrode and pit the dickens out an iron or steel piece..........NGE
 
Upvote 0
sandcreek4 said:
kuger said:
I havent been doing it for 38 years but I can bet I do more picks,axes and shovels in a year than five guys dig in a life time and as said I have never ruined ONE,maybe I have a special touch!!All your doing is taking of the first layer of rust....not shining it up.

Here is one I did yesterday....wouldnt say ruined?

And the take from last weekend waiting there turn
After you knock the rust off, kuger, do you seal them with something? That pick axe looks really good!
I do,and the name of it escapes me at the moment....its good stuff.I will post it tonight.
 
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
It looks like a turn of the century Shingling Hatchet :wink:
My book has shingling hatchets but I dont know the date. Hard to read sorry.
 

Attachments

  • axe shingling hatchets.webp
    axe shingling hatchets.webp
    40.5 KB · Views: 270
Upvote 0
kuger said:
sandcreek4 said:
kuger said:
I havent been doing it for 38 years but I can bet I do more picks,axes and shovels in a year than five guys dig in a life time and as said I have never ruined ONE,maybe I have a special touch!!All your doing is taking of the first layer of rust....not shining it up.

Here is one I did yesterday....wouldnt say ruined?

And the take from last weekend waiting there turn
After you knock the rust off, kuger, do you seal them with something? That pick axe looks really good!
I do,and the name of it escapes me at the moment....its good stuff.I will post it tonight.
Thanks, kuger!!
bigcypresshunter said:
mojjax said:
It looks like a turn of the century Shingling Hatchet :wink:
My book has shingling hatchets but I dont know the date. Hard to read sorry.
Thanks Bigcypresshunter--I'm satisfied just know what kind of axe it is. I think this old foundation(where I found the axe) was from the early 1900's because I found a 1911 wheat penny near it.
Thanks for all the help everyone!
sandcreek
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom