Any idea on this vase

Your vase looks similar to Carnival Glass to me. :icon_scratch:

"Carnival glass is moulded or pressed glass, always with a pattern and always with a shiny, metallic, 'iridescent' surface shimmer. The keys to its appeal were that it looked superficially like the much finer and much more expensive blown iridescent glass by Tiffany, Loetz and others and also that the cheerful bright finish caught the light even in dark corners of the home. Both functional and ornamental objects were produced in the carnival finish and patterns ranged from simple through geometric and 'cut' styles to pictorial and figurative. A wide range of colours and colour combinations were used but the most common colours accounted for a large proportion of output, so scarce colours can today command very high prices on the collector market.

Carnival glass originated as a glass called 'Iridill', produced beginning in 1908 by the Fenton Art Glass Company (founded in 1905). Iridill was inspired by the fine blown art glass of such makers as Tiffany and Steuben but did not sell at the anticipated premium prices and was subsequently discounted. After these markdowns, Iridill pieces were used as carnival prizes.

Iridill became popular and very profitable for Fenton, which produced many different types of items in this finish, in over 150 patterns. Fenton maintained their position as the largest manufacturer and were one of very few makers to use a red coloured glass base for their carnival glass. After interest waned in the late 1920s, Fenton stopped producing carnival glass for many years. In more recent years, due to a resurgence in interest, Fenton restarted production of carnival glass until its closure in 2007. Most U.S. carnival glass was made before 1925, with production in clear decline after 1931. Some significant production continued outside the US through the depression years of the early 1930s, tapering off to very little by the 1940s."

Dave

Upvote 0
Actually I think it is a coralene fritz heckert 1880s vase

Upvote 0
Your vase looks similar to Carnival Glass to me. :icon_scratch:

"Carnival glass is moulded or pressed glass, always with a pattern and always with a shiny, metallic, 'iridescent' surface shimmer. The keys to its appeal were that it looked superficially like the much finer and much more expensive blown iridescent glass by Tiffany, Loetz and others and also that the cheerful bright finish caught the light even in dark corners of the home. Both functional and ornamental objects were produced in the carnival finish and patterns ranged from simple through geometric and 'cut' styles to pictorial and figurative. A wide range of colours and colour combinations were used but the most common colours accounted for a large proportion of output, so scarce colours can today command very high prices on the collector market.

Carnival glass originated as a glass called 'Iridill', produced beginning in 1908 by the Fenton Art Glass Company (founded in 1905). Iridill was inspired by the fine blown art glass of such makers as Tiffany and Steuben but did not sell at the anticipated premium prices and was subsequently discounted. After these markdowns, Iridill pieces were used as carnival prizes.

Iridill became popular and very profitable for Fenton, which produced many different types of items in this finish, in over 150 patterns. Fenton maintained their position as the largest manufacturer and were one of very few makers to use a red coloured glass base for their carnival glass. After interest waned in the late 1920s, Fenton stopped producing carnival glass for many years. In more recent years, due to a resurgence in interest, Fenton restarted production of carnival glass until its closure in 2007. Most U.S. carnival glass was made before 1925, with production in clear decline after 1931. Some significant production continued outside the US through the depression years of the early 1930s, tapering off to very little by the 1940s."

Dave

This is hand blown for sure, not moulded. Its funny you mention fenton, at work we have barrels and barrels full of cullet from fenton thats mostly smashed up pieces that didn't make the cut.

How are those beads attached? does it look glued on cold? this could help date the piece.

Upvote 0
So you already know what it is? Why post it?

To confirm the ID while not leading the thread into "group think" exercise.

That's really my preference when I go to research an item. Don't lead me down a potentially wrong path with what you 'think' it might be.

Too often items posted here are not what the OP wants them to be. Let me do my own work based on the evidence presented.

That said, I don't think it is a Fritz Heckert piece. But then I'm not much of a glass guy, either...

Upvote 0
Didn't know what it was till after I posted.......I really don't have time to go through why I think what it is.......I'm always on the move but thank you everyone for all your comments and help on everything it is always appreciated

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually I think it is a coralene fritz heckert 1880s vase

I'm sorry, but don't see Fritz Heckert in your vase, although it is similar.
Here are some examples of Fritz Hecker pieces, note how he signs the base of his works. :thumbsup:

Dave

Attachments

• 8296251261b1daa5a614c9830a9090a2.jpg
    8296251261b1daa5a614c9830a9090a2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 45
  • c0ec24e79d69694935afec626ac5f898.jpg
    c0ec24e79d69694935afec626ac5f898.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG0082-thumbnail-800x600-crop.jpg
    IMG0082-thumbnail-800x600-crop.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Fritz-Heckert-Art-Nouveau-Coralene-Mini-full-1-720 10.10-76-r-ffffff-5.jpg
    Fritz-Heckert-Art-Nouveau-Coralene-Mini-full-1-720 10.10-76-r-ffffff-5.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 45
  • Fritz-Heckert-Art-Nouveau-Coralene-Mini-full-4-720-269-r-ffffff-5.jpg
    Fritz-Heckert-Art-Nouveau-Coralene-Mini-full-4-720-269-r-ffffff-5.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
Coralene vases were made and signed "Patent" in 1884
I was told to look in the book of Stefania zelasko "fritz Heckert" page 128 fig: 172-174
So I guess I will have to find the book and see lol

Upvote 0
JTW, here is your vase:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-bohemian-victorian-heckert-1900576613

"Victorian Coralene Art Glass Vase

Description:
Victorian era, art glass vase with applied feet is decorated with Coralene decoration.

The vase is blown of cranberry glass spreading to orange.

Applied base is three greenish-amber tree trunk style feet with pinched thorns
and pulled branches.

Hand painted decoration depicts a fruit tree branch with pears and leaves. There is
also an applied branch that wraps partially around the vase. Decoration is entirely
covered with Coralene (glass beads) through out.

Rim has a hand tooled crimp. The base has a polished pontil and is signed, W. Patent. L.

The first coralene patent was obtained by Arthur Schierholz of Plausen, Thuringia, in
the German Empire, on July 7, 1883. Fritz Heckert held a license to produced glasswares
with the Coralene decoration, and other Bohemian glasshouses such as Loetz followed.
There is a theory the W. Patent L. mark could be from British retailer, W. Lund who
commissioned a Bohemian glasshouse to produce these Coralene examples found with
this distinctive mark. "

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back