What's new

✅ SOLVED Any idea on year of this badge?

cudamark

San Diego Ring Finder
🥇 Charter Member
Top Banner Poster
Joined
Mar 16, 2011
Messages
15,096
Reaction score
20,179
Golden Thread
1
Location
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 2 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly '1940's to 1960's area where I found this caduceus badge. From what I gather it was a collar insignia used by medical folks. Just doctors? Medics? Nurses? WW2? Korea? Seems to be blackened brass.
20260504_202258.webp
20260504_202308.webp
 
Based on the hallmark and design, this United States Navy Hospital Corpsman (HM) insignia was likely produced between the late 1960s and the 1980s.Dating the InsigniaSeveral visual and manufacturing clues help narrow down the time period:Manufacturer Hallmark (L-22): The "L-22" stamped on the back is the maker's mark for Lordship Industries. This specific alphanumeric coding system was introduced around 1964-1965, and items marked "L-22" were widely produced during the Vietnam War era and into the 1970s and 80s
(AI generated, I'm just the messenger)
 
Upvote 0
What type attachments does it have?
 
Upvote 0
I’m not seeing ‘L-22’ on the back. It’s marked ‘L.I.G.I.’ which stands for ‘Lordship Industries Government Inspected.’

The company was founded in New York in 1948 as ‘His Lordship Products Inc.’ using a ‘H.L.P.’ mark and changed name to Lordship Industries using the L.I. mark from around 1973. The addition of the ‘G.I.’ (alongside both maker marks) was a U.S. government requirement from the late 1960s onwards. The company officially lost its government contract in 1996 following the illegal sale of medals, which they also produced.

So that gives you a timeframe between about 1973 and 1996 but I don’t believe the badges themselves carried any date coding. The boxes in which they were issued did: month and year as either contract date or fiscal year.

The badge was worn on the left side of the collar by three ratings: Hospital Apprentice, Hospital Apprentice First Class, and Hospital Steward (Chief Petty Officer) in both the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps. Hospital corpsmen served in shore establishments such as naval hospitals and clinics providing medical care to sailors and their families; and aboard ships and submarines as the primary medical caregivers for sailors while underway. They also serve as battlefield corpsmen with the Marine Corps, rendering emergency medical treatment, including initial treatment in a combat environment. Further, they provide medical care to the Fleet Marine Force, SEAL and Seabee units, and at isolated duty stations where no medical officer is available.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
What type attachments does it have?
I believe it's a nut on a machine thread stud, but, I'm afraid of twisting it until I do some more penetrating oil soaking.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom