✅ SOLVED Any idea what this is?

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing maybe some kind of jewelry box....unfortunately there was nothing in side or around it where I found it.

DSC00952.JPG

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an old miniature ornamental wood stove replica, though I have not seen this particular design before. The dealers used them for showing as prototypes to the retail store owners. Is it cracked or does it open?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Subchaser

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in pretty rough shape, it is supposed to open and close but the hinges are seized up with rust....funny you should mention a wood stove, I found one of those too not far from where I got this. It was made by A. Geisel MFG Co.....spent a good hour diggin' up all the pieces to it.

Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an old miniature ornamental wood stove replica, though I have not seen this particular design before. The dealers used them for showing as prototypes to the retail store owners. Is it cracked or does it open?

I was thinking the same thing (it looks like a barrel stove) but the problem is that if that flange on top is for seating the chimney pipe, the thing couldn't open on that hinge. The pipe would have to move with it -- which would be a really BAD design! It would need a door somewhere.

Just remembered I also wanted to say... those legs and bolt-down areas are not to scale for a miniature -- or necessary either. This thing -- whatever it is -- was meant to be clamped down firmly to a bench. That implies a tool of some sort. One that might vibrate or move under force/pressure. Like a motor housing for instance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you could find a miniature hog, we could have a mini pig pickin' :laughing7: Breezie

Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe an old coffee roaster?

Hey, that gives me an idea. Not a roaster, but a grinder? Missing the innards, but bolts holding down the legs would make sense. It takes a lot of force to crack those beans! The top part could be what is left of the hopper. Is there a hole on either end of the cylinder that might have held a shaft for turning the grinder? And it might have been for grinding anything -- not just coffee.

Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a sausage packing tool I believe. My dad had one when I was a kid.

We posted at almost the same time and I missed this. Yes -- this is what I was talking about. You poke whatever you want to grind down in through the top and turn the handle. Of course, the hinge would have allowed opening it up to remove the gunked up grinding apparatus for washing. There would need to be a hole on each end of course -- one for the handle and one for whatever was churning out of it.

Upvote 0

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something like a meat grinder, coffee grinder or sausage stuffer? What kind of area was it in? Anything else around it? Definately some parts missing.

Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check these out... hard to miss the similarity with the first, and the second sausage stuffer shows a lever style, but both give a good idea of why there would be holes for bolting it to a table surface.
il_170x135.369949181_665e.jpg m9YXfMsgHXTDpErulWFciOA.jpg

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be but looks like it's maybe 4" long. Still going for a miniature, at first thought of a boiler but it's too thin to be a tool case. Got dimensions and wall thickness? Did it lock closed? Sausage packer? I've seen them but never with a closed end. Sewing machines used to run on small 4" pelton wheels some times, so toy boiler was my next guess. This may have fit into a larger toy train housing?

Upvote 0

Archeodeb

Nov 3, 2012
SW Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be but looks like it's maybe 4" long. Still going for a miniature, at first thought of a boiler but it's too thin to be a tool case. Got dimensions and wall thickness? Did it lock closed? Sausage packer? I've seen them but never with a closed end. Sewing machines used to run on small 4" pelton wheels some times, so toy boiler was my next guess. This may have fit into a larger toy train housing?

This brings up a good question... how big is this thing? We don't have measurements anywhere that I can see, do we?

Upvote 0

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was thinking hopper as well, I'm just not seeing a crank opening. Usually the grinding blades would be just past the hopper and the meat is dispensed right out of the blades. Leaving the meat encased in the grinder would make mush.
Hmmm... A gold or silver bar cast? Just pour the melted gold in and open the gate!
Subchaser, is there any sort of insert inside the drum?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... A gold or silver bar cast? Just pour the melted gold in and open the gate!
Subchaser, is there any sort of insert inside the drum?[/QUOTE]

Now you know, I'm always dreaming about the same thing. °°° GOLD GOLD GOLD °°°

:tchest:

Upvote 0

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gets them gold fever juices flowing eh?!!!!:icon_thumleft:
Gotta keep the mind on the prize!
Dig! Dig! Dig! Those gold bars were just outta reach or in the underbrush! No stones unturned!!!!:wink:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread