What's new

Any idea what this tag is?

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all got this tag today, atleast thats what I am calling it. Any ideas on what it went too? It has a 1 then underneath a 183. Its one and a half inches square. Thanks for looking. Heres a close up.
 

Attachments

  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 404
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 403
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 385
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 404
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 362
One that needs cleaning for possible identification! ;D
 
Upvote 0
I have been giving it the peroxide treatment, anything else I can do to it Patch. Don't want to ruin it.
 
Upvote 0
I didnt figure it was spooky. Would :icon_thumright:like to figure out just what it was.
 
Upvote 0
I think its hand made. The site was a mile into the woods so I think I can rule out utility pole marker, though you can never be sure. I cant figure it out. Hopfully someone can. The site dated from the late 1700's to the mid 1800's.
 
Upvote 0
Posted a cleaned up close up. Looks like 1' then 183 at the bottom. Nothing more.
 
Upvote 0
You may be on to somthing there Spooky. It sure could be a P. It does look different then the 1 on the bottom. So P 183.
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
You may be on to somthing there Spooky. It sure could be a P. It does look different then the 1 on the bottom. So P 183.


Slight chance it's a raised dot/circle and implies #1. More a European thing and French is what I'm familar with. Not sure if #1 was ever written that way in North America.
 
Upvote 0
Since the 8 is split down the middle I would say the top one is a P

A trap tag would need a hole too.

Some fur trade trade tokens were hand made.

I would guess 19th c. :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
It may notbe a tag for anything, with no hole I guess its hard to say it is infact a tag. :dontknow: Obviosly if it were attached as a tag it would have had to of been glued I assume. So maybe I need to start thinking of another possability?
 
Upvote 0
As I said earlier it was a mile away from any new road or house. So I had in my mind ruled out telephone pole marker, though I know it could be, since things end up in strange spots all the time. Seems asthough it may be a little older then that. But these are all just guesses from me aswell.
 
Upvote 0
:icon_scratch:Boy,I dont know,I would rule out tag as well,because as already noted there is no means of attachment :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
mainer said:
with no hole I guess its hard to say it is infact a tag.

Looks thin enough to drive a nail straight through it. That may be how they attached them to pole or whatever. If so, this one is an unused drop.
 
Upvote 0
I live near Eriecanal and have found similar round pieces with a # on them or if your neer a rail road it might be a token :dontknow: they gave to a traveler with luggage arround 1835-1850 like a claim check that would be my guess if your near either .
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom