What's new

Any idea why im finding nothing?

joesdigs

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2012
Messages
593
Reaction score
249
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all... I have 2 beaches that spread around 3 miles long here beside me... These beaches are always busy in summer and they are never detected... I've gone to each beach twice or maybe more and I have never uncovered so much as a coin... I find this hard to believe that these beaches are empty of jewellery and coins.. I use a Minelab explorer xs and it works well on soil... Is this Machine of any use on the beach? Any thoughts? Thanx guys .. Joe
 
Upvote 0
Joe, your XS should work fine on the beach. My Se Pro does just fine although I use my Excal here on our beaches. I like my 12x10sef on the beach, goes deep. Does your beach get hit hard. Ours do and we still make good finds. Pick an area and grid it, work back and forth, swing low and slow. Run your sens as hot as you can stand. There's got to be targets there. I've been working a stretch of beach where a ship wrecked in 1785. We're finding older targets and it's a blast. Found quite a few coins as well, dont have a pic to post though. This bronze spike is one of my best finds. Good luck, Joe.
 

Attachments

  • 101_0522.webp
    101_0522.webp
    549.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 101_0525.webp
    101_0525.webp
    517.5 KB · Views: 148
Hey all... I have 2 beaches that spread around 3 miles long here beside me... These beaches are always busy in summer and they are never detected... I've gone to each beach twice or maybe more and I have never uncovered so much as a coin... I find this hard to believe that these beaches are empty of jewellery and coins.. I use a Minelab explorer xs and it works well on soil... Is this Machine of any use on the beach? Any thoughts? Thanx guys .. Joe

You have a GREAT beach machine! Try slowing way down, and gridding a single area about 30-feet by 30-feet, with one side at the high tide mark, and the other side 30-feet inland. Grid north to soth - VERY slowly, listening for very slight breaks on deep targets. If it is there, you will find it. Your beaches could be very sanded in right now. One good storm or rip tide could change that.
 
joesdigs said:
Hey all... I have 2 beaches that spread around 3 miles long here beside me... These beaches are always busy in summer and they are never detected... I've gone to each beach twice or maybe more and I have never uncovered so much as a coin... I find this hard to believe that these beaches are empty of jewellery and coins.. I use a Minelab explorer xs and it works well on soil... Is this Machine of any use on the beach? Any thoughts? Thanx guys .. Joe

Might be a couple of things that come to mind. Some beaches, especially those recently replenished with sand have deep layers of loose sand that items just fall below detectable depth, others maybe heavily mineralized, creating a ground balance issue, or you may be getting interference from other EM transmissions in the area.

I'd try an experiment next time you are out, take a quarter and drop it where you're searching. See if the detector picks it up. Dig it out by hand and see how deep it rests. It will give you an idea what your up against at the location. Other than that, I would suggest moving closer to the water, and looking for steep cuts in the sand. A lot of beaches are getting sanded in right now (winter), so you might not have too much luck near the wet stuff.
 
Detecting is site dependent, you have a great detector up to the waters edge. But........

Your first problem is location....hi water temp is 57 to 60....and that is summer to late summer. How many people are in the water there...?
The fact that not many hit the water can affect the drysand also......I would go with terries suggestion grid the heck out of it...Has to be something....then again, I can go to any of the beach's I hunt right now and find almost nothing, but during the summer hundreds of coins and maybe a few pieces of treasure......................, and the place is wall to wall people.................................And by the way...like the Gun.......

marine_seatempgraph[1].webp
 
Yep, a lot of new sand coming in and piling up. On my area beaches I've been hunting around it as you can usually see where it's being delivered and piling up the heaviest. If there is a noticeable slope to the beach try hunting the upper 1/3 of the wet sand. Do as Terry suggest in a few areas of this upper beach as well because it's usually the least effected part of the beach and the last part of the beach to get covered over. It's also usually the least hunted portion of the beach. We have a tendency to want to be drawn to the water's edge but when the new sand is coming in it can also be the worst area of the beach to hunt.
 
Last edited:
Sand, Sand, Sand.....and more Sand.
 
I use and Exp SE when im not in the water. You can dig a penny at crazy depths. Am i saying this, i agree with Terry, you have to take the time and grid an areas and NOT look for a reason not to dig a target. Dig everything but iron and a shallow bottle cap. It does amaze me sometimes at the number of people i see on a given beach and there isnt a thing worth taking off the beach. But then the next time .... you have a hay day. You have to hunt regularly too to make these finds. Hit the towel line to the water for sure. I dont how ever agree that you have to slow way down. If you arent hearing target the exp will run smooth at a pretty good clip.... but once you do hit a target slow down and check the are well. Concentrate on Keeping your coil low ON the sand the Exps dont like air between the coil and sand.

Dew
 
Guys.... Thank you somuch... Really appreciate the advise... I have had the thought of the sand being piled up and it makes good sense.. The beaches are always packed here In summer and I know they are never detected.. So I imagine a lot of stuff is very deep now... But I'll take the grid idea and put into practice and search it slow and at full sense or as close to as possible.... Can't wait now to go back and start again... Is there a beach setting for the xs? Or am I best to come up with my own ?
 
The next time you go to the beach....don't hunt it! Instead, walk it and study it. It's amazing how much more you will learn and take notice of. A lot of these guys can step onto a beach, look it over, and then quickly develop an effective plan of attack. This is difficult to do with any confidence when the beach all looks the same to you. Learning to read a beach is the most important part of beach hunting and those who experience the greatest amount of consistent success are very good at it. They understand the many faces of the sand. :thumbsup:
 
What beach are you hunting? If it's near me, I'd be happy to go on a quick hunt with you and pass along a few pointers.
 
Hey G.I.B... I'm in ireland ... But thanks for the offer...
 
Joe,

Lots of good advice.....if you want some inspiration check out some of Chicago Ron's videos on youtube.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
Excellent Bill.. Will check em out tonight :)
 
Wow Dew.... Just had a quick look. At that link... That's an amazing resource :) I will get stuck into that ASAP :)
 
Huge storm here tonight too.... But won't be able to get out for a few days.... But I'll see what way it affects the beaches... Never thought to look before..
 
Bill that's unreal... :) my blood is pumping now for sure....
 
I feel your pain! Went out yesterday and was digging pull tabs deep! Drayton and Chicago Ron depress me. But I'll hit it again tomorrow. Hope springs eternal. HH.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom