What's new

Any ideas how this worked

vayank54

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
2,738
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I dug this lock in a civil war camp in the '80s. Both sides are the same and there is no keyhole anywhere. there are no marking or writing anywhere. I figure the name was on the hasp which was not with the lock when I dug it. I assume by the notches on the side that it slipped into some kind of cover or jacket. I was wondering how it worked and if it had a specific use.
 

Attachments

  • brass lock.webp
    brass lock.webp
    8.4 KB · Views: 344
  • brass lock side.webp
    brass lock side.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 351
Nice find VaYank . . .I really don't have a clue; could it be part of the inside? ARe you sure it is a lock? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
I guess I should have mentioned it's two pieces a front and back and it's about 3/4" thick. It's the whole lock just no keyhole
 
Upvote 0
If your a cowboy you shot it open, everyone knows that ::)
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
Here is an 1868 Patent for a "self-sealing or keyless padlock" and "to open the lock, the body or shackle must be sawed in two."

Good id Bramble! Dang, I guess it's a 1-time use lock. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Thanks Bramble. I had no idea they had such a thing.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom