Any Ideas on Old Button?

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Ive been looking for wreck washed out to sea after a hurricane I found several spikes on a reef and two buttons, the button has "fine Gilt" on the back of it, trying to date buttons is harder than other things, it is small about the size of a dime, any help would be appreciated, ps did not photograph as it small and I dont have a micro setting. Thoughts??? Cheers 74

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without a photo no one here can really help you.Try shooting thru a magnifying glass or even a microscope.Or take it to your dentist and get him/her to shoot the button with a intraoral dental camera.The dentist can put the image on a cd as the cams are digital or even email it to you.They focus down to 1/8 of a inch.I have a intraoral dental camera but i see you are in canada.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Buttons marked with "gilt" or other indications of quality were popular on civilian buttons as late as 1790s, but most often from the early 1800s and pre CW. (1815 to 1830).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread