What's new

Any ideas on what this could be?

freddy67

Greenie
Joined
Apr 30, 2015
Messages
12
Reaction score
94
Golden Thread
1
Location
Mahone Bay
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett euroace, Teknetics omega 8000, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457613485.696736.webp
Found it and baffled what it could be. It is about the size of a quarter. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks all and happy hunting. Cheers all
 
Upvote 4
I can see it is a part of something but absolutely no idea what. Can you read any of the writing on it?
 
There is a carving on it, but I can't make anything out. Maybe native American.
 
Is that metal or rock
 
Looks like it may be a piece of an old printing plate.
 
There is either letters or symbols on it but I cannot really make them out. when I get home today I will try to clean it up a bit more and get a better picture of it. Thank you for your comments.
 
It's metal.
 
You might want to lightly roll it on an ink pad and then roll it onto a piece of paper. Maybe getting the design onto a bright background will bring out some detail that is lost on the uniform grey of the metal. Just an idea.....kinda cool looking though!
 
AS someone said, It could be part of a printing plate which would make it backwards. Is that possible
 
Pretty cool. I found about 12 broken pieces of what I think was once some kind of cast brass plaque. It is flat and has a design on it. I found these pieces scattered over an area of abut 20 x 100 feet. These fragments were recovered over 8 or more visits to this site.. I figured that a lawn mower got to it. I haven't been able to make any of the puzzle pieces fit. Maybe there more pieces of your puzzle where you found that piece.??
 
Last edited:
looks like a seal plate I see the Indian in headdress
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1457613485.696736[1].webp
 
I was thinking part of a coin weight, but it might be to big for that.:dontknow:

SS
 
Do a rubbing of it.Paper on item, then pencil on edge back and forth, image will appear on paper.
 
Looks like a piece of an old metal printers block
 
Is the surface flat? The photo looks like it could be slightly curved, as part of a larger container of some kind. A printer's block should be flat, and made of lead.....just pondering.
 
Is the surface flat? The photo looks like it could be slightly curved, as part of a larger container of some kind. A printer's block should be flat, and made of lead.....just pondering.
Flat, but not are all are lead, although it tends to be a lead-alloy which this looks exactly like.
 
Is the surface flat? The photo looks like it could be slightly curved, as part of a larger container of some kind. A printer's block should be flat, and made of lead.....just pondering.

FYI...If it was in fact round, it would be used to print such things like wall paper, and the like...
 
I've used clay to get an impression in the past to raise lettering or details. Rubbings do OK,but tend to leave out some of the finer details.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom