What's new

Any ideas on why I would find these deep in the woods?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2013
Messages
1,593
Reaction score
1,670
Golden Thread
0
Location
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - I found what I thought were 2 mushroomed bullets in the woods a few days ago but after I rinsed them off they were actually old fishing sinkers, both probably 2 oz. The odd thing is there is not a lake or river within 3 miles of that area, they also both had about 2" of fishing line tied to them. Any ideas on some other uses they could have been used for? This wooded area has huge 150+ year old trees. I know it's a dumb post but finding things where they shouldn't be drives me nuts!
 
perhaps a kid made a snare
 
wow ,, that is kind of odd.. but the world is full of odd people .
being in the middle of the woods with no ponds or lakes around for some one to be using the woods as a short cut , i wonder if there is any home remedy use that some one has for using them while hunting ?
 
I know when i go fishing i do a ton of walking,so 3 miles to get to a spot is nothing if ya wanna fish that bad.

maybe someone felt the urge to go on a fishing trip,the woods may have been their fastest route to the river,pole already rigged as not to waste any time,lots of brush and what not-weights get caught on said brush,line snaps and weights fall to the ground.

depending on length of time the leaves n such break down and weights get buried a bit
 
Thanks Everyone - all great theories....
 
Wooded areas have always been dumping spots and spots to stash stolen stuff. I grew up way out in the country and we found everything from coke machines to bottles and garbage thrown out there.
 
Maybe a bird carried them there?
 
Wooded areas have always been dumping spots and spots to stash stolen stuff. I grew up way out in the country and we found everything from coke machines to bottles and garbage thrown out there.


wow you guys have machines that dispense illegal drugs how strange but modern
 
Maybe they were used to throw over a limb to haul up stronger line for hoisting something.
 
Maybe a bird carried them there?

I think you nailed it Old dude - this area is also an area where many blue herons nest (excellent fishermen) - I bet they caught or picked up dead fish that had a hook and sinker in it's mouth, fed it to their young and well......I'm sure you know how they ended up on the forrest floor after they ate the fish!
 
Hi - I found what I thought were 2 mushroomed bullets in the woods a few days ago but after I rinsed them off they were actually old fishing sinkers, both probably 2 oz. The odd thing is there is not a lake or river within 3 miles of that area, they also both had about 2" of fishing line tied to them. Any ideas on some other uses they could have been used for? This wooded area has huge 150+ year old trees. I know it's a dumb post but finding things where they shouldn't be drives me nuts!

What state or area you located in?

If I run across the same here I would think it was a "trip line". If you run a still, or grow pot, one way to find out if anyone has been around would be to place fishing line near by. Some will even place cans or bells on the line to hear anything coming...
so I've been told.:laughing7:
 
N.E. Ohio.....this area has some massive oak trees, 150 year old and older (I cut firewood back.there when a tree blows over), did people smoke pot back then?
 
Could be a set of jewels off a ancient robot:laughing7:
 
Maybe they were used to throw over a limb to haul up stronger line for hoisting something.
I'm with Sandman. As a ham radio nut, I have sent MANY lines into the trees via lead weights. QRP anyone? TTC
 
N.E. Ohio.....this area has some massive oak trees, 150 year old and older (I cut firewood back.there when a tree blows over), did people smoke pot back then?

Why, yes they did... LEGALLY!!
 
They could have come from an "outdoors bag". Like, a canvas over-the-shoulder bag that can serve multiple uses, amongst them, fishing. Maybe a general carry-all containing water/thermos, compass, snack, maps, etc. Someone grabbed their outdoors carry-all for a hike, and it still had a few fishing items in it.
 
Tedyoh,

Crazy as it may sound, I have seen men working in the brush with lead fishing weights tied to their shoes. They claimed it helps keep ticks away. Others use dog flea & tick collars over their boots.

Homar
 
All great and possible theories......thanks for the thoughts...but im sticking with the blue herron theory first and the ancient robot as a possible second.....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom