Southern IL perry co.
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2......upgraded to
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpgimage.jpg

Is it copper?

Where did you find it? Woods? House? Farm? Beach?

Need more info.

My first thought was "motorcycle fender mudflap". The fringe type...

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Was a rich mans back field back in the 1800s horse field barn ect .. In the middle of town.now is a open field in town behind the rich mans home witch still stands....oldest standing house in town...Got told no about doing the house property but I'm getting as close as possible lol and yes it seems to be copper

Upvote 0
Maybe a homemade version of "barbed wire"? See if your historical society has any photos of the property. Maybe you can see if any of that material is mounted on top of a fence or wall. It seems a poor choice for that purpose but after a few years out in the weather, it would be a pretty green instead of rusty red!

Upvote 0
It is interesting that the copper is cut precisely (by machine?) but someone spent a lot of time and effort to hand twist the cuts. I think each twist held something - like bristles for a brush or broom. I also considered it could be part of a curry comb but it doesn't seem very practical for that. Any other relics of interest found near it?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
It's not stiff enough for a broom or horse comb...it's easy to bend and bend back..I asked my local MD GuRue that I know he said he didn't know but he has dug something like it... Dcmatt... only other thing was a walker and a 51 qwrt o and a piece of a oil lamp the part with the turn wheel that makes the wick come up

Upvote 0
I hate to say I saw this but I was watching "diggers" last night and they found that same thing, the name of the episode is "digging in the cape"

Upvote 0
my first thought was part of a Harmonica,
But even if I'm right, it was obviously altered for some reason

Upvote 0
I hate to say I saw this but I was watching "diggers" last night and they found that same thing, the name of the episode is "digging in the cape"
I watched the one you were talking about but they don't know what is is either !! Damn it !! Thanks for the try

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back