Bigcypress, I agree that there was not a lot of build up on this piece. I did have it soaking in white vinegar and salt for a little while till I started really looking at it. I figured I'd better pull it out just in case. It really intrigues me though and some of the fellas I know here that have seen it agree. "It looks old", "it's hammered", "nothing says that it's been rolling around the Caribbean for 300 years", "it could have been lost by someone who didn't know it's age".
I appreciate all the input from you folks who have more experience than I. There is an archaeological museum here and there is someone there who is suppose to know a lot about similar pieces, so on my next day off I'm gonna take it down there and let them take a look.
The more I look it seems that a lot of the 17Th C pieces were bronze vs silver, but I'm optimistic when it comes to finds. Just the little kid pirate in me.
Will post an update. Thanks again!