What's new

Any Ideas??

Rebel82

Greenie
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Dug this Sunday near a battlefield.It is blunt on the square end(has been knocked on quite a bit) and round and very thin on the other end.I'm thinking some type of tool/punch?Sorry not the best pics.Any ideas??Thanks
9jp443.jpg

2znmr12.jpg
 
dozer dan said:
its an old leather punch :icon_sunny:

...what Dan said...

Here's a modern one:

520422.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
What is the size? Is it large enough to make patches?
 
Upvote 0
Rebel82 said:
The round end opening is the size of a nickel.
I shoot round balls in my .45 primitive hunting rifle. I use a patch about quarter size if I recall. Nickel is kind of a large leather punch. :icon_scratch: Maybe its a small caliber patch cutter? :icon_scratch: :-\
 

Attachments

  • patch cotton-pillow-ticking-patch.webp
    patch cotton-pillow-ticking-patch.webp
    3.3 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Did a little research and found this info and pic on a website.Gonna try and clean mine up and see what it has stamped on it.Thanks again for the info guys!

DESCRIPTION: Steel wad cutter for cutting out wads for a musket. Possible Civil War era. Has a break in one of the arns which can be seen in the photo. Stamped on the stem is 10 STEEL. Not many of these seen around.
2444olt.jpg
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I just thought of it. It could be a pistol wad cutter. http://www.possibleshop.com/wads.htm

Nice find. http://possibleshop.com/s-s-patch.html

Clean it up and look for markings.

Huh. Never considered that there was a tool for that. Learn something new everyday...

DCMatt
When I shoot my rifle or pistol, I buy bullets, patches and wads at the store, but back in the day they made their own from cotton and wool. I think I have one of these tools myself.



Rebel82 said:
Did a little research and found this info and pic on a website.Gonna try and clean mine up and see what it has stamped on it.Thanks again for the info guys!

DESCRIPTION: Steel wad cutter for cutting out wads for a musket. Possible Civil War era. Has a break in one of the arns which can be seen in the photo. Stamped on the stem is 10 STEEL. Not many of these seen around.
Glad to have helped. If you find out the value, I am curious to know.
 
Upvote 0
If it is "nickel diameter" I would be more inclined to think over-powder and over-shot wads for a muzzleloading shotgun (heavy paper, felt, etc.) but I suppose they might have used wads in muskets.

The U.S. did not, I don't believe.
 

Attachments

  • HPIM0789s.webp
    HPIM0789s.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0
Charlie P. (NY) said:
If it is "nickel diameter" I would be more inclined to think over-powder and over-shot wads for a muzzleloading shotgun (heavy paper, felt, etc.) but I suppose they might have used wads in muskets.

The U.S. did not, I don't believe.
yes you are correct. I guess its too large for a pistol wad. I dont know what I was thinking.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom