Any Ideas???

Rob-IL

Jan 17, 2006
This piece was found at a Fur Trade Era archaeological site, it is magnified 10X. It is approximately 1/2" square with 3 designs (symbols) in it, anchor with rope, 5 point star & possibly a bird?? Also found close to it was a nice "Amber" French gun flint. This site also has later era contamination. Any Ideas????

Attachments

• design3.jpg
    design3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 586

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
Those stamps remind me of acceptance marks placed on the frame of Walther PPK pistols. In the Walther example, each mark meant something i.e that it was approved by the police or army or Nazi organizations. Many of the pistols had multiple markings. I don't believe that the piece you have there is a Walther pistol part, but the markings may share the same function.

http://www.whog.org/ppk/markings.htm

good luck

J

Upvote 0

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I really have no idea as to what it is or how old. But.... here are my questions and impressions:

Question.. What is the material composition (what's it made of?).

First impression.. makes me think of Sea, Land, Air or Navy Army Airforce. Also the "bird reminds me of a depiction of an eagle (Polish). Maybe I saw something like it on a jar of pickles. :-\

Bluezman

P.S. maybe you can show us a picture of the reverse side.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
gypsyheart said:
The anchor is the hallmark for British City of Birmingham

True... the upright anchor is silver, the sideways anchor is gold... but the diagonal anchor?

There are all makers or quality marks. Normally the British marks have a date letter in there someplace... this is without.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rob-IL

Jan 17, 2006
Bluezman said:
I really have no idea as to what it is or how old. But.... here are my questions and impressions:

Question.. What is the material composition (what's it made of?).

First impression.. makes me think of Sea, Land, Air or Navy Army Airforce. Also the "bird reminds me of a depiction of an eagle (Polish). Maybe I saw something like it on a jar of pickles. :-\

Bluezman

P.S. maybe you can show us a picture of the reverse side.
Thanks All for the replies so far. It appears that it was origionally silver plated over copper or brass. One end is folded over like it could have hooked onto something or maybe it's part of some type of ornamental band?? The archaeological site where it was found has yielded many 1750-1800 fur trade era artifacts, trade axes, iron awls, 12 french clasping knifes, flint lock gun parts, cone tinklers & earrings etc etc. We do have some later era contamination as a late 19th century homesite was nearby. It would be good to know what the 3 symbols represent!!!!

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I've just looked at 20 thousand halmarks/maker marks... a diangonal anchor occures no-place that I found, the star shows up in misc. marks from all over the planet, and the right facing (your left) eagle/bird I found no-place. :(

I'll give you this link, and if you join the forum maybe someone can help!

http://www.925-1000.com/index.html

http://www.silvercollecting.com/silvermarksA.html (American only so might not be useful)

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
The anchor is the hallmark for British City of Birmingham

Its not a British hallmark. No stars in our system & it would need a letter on the end.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
salvatorparadise said:
lots of british-looking hallmarks are stamped on objects - they aren't real but are put on to fool folks into thinking the piece is old and hallmarked by a maker etc

In addition, Many of the Chinese marks mimic the British marks through history to fool buyers.
Angelo said:
Reminds me of a plate that went over Suspender clasp/buckle.

Tony

I thought that too Tony...

Upvote 0

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I wonder if it's the clasp from a pair of mens garters.
Just thinking out loud. Bluezman

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
Found this mark while searching another item and thought that the this eagle was similar to your item. This one is a Mexican silver mark.

Tony

Attachments

• mexearlyeaglemark.jpg
    mexearlyeaglemark.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions