clay pipe found on beach in Maryland ?

paul9272

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2007
MASS
Detector(s) used
EXCALIBUR, CTX 3030, WHITES XLT
A good friend of mine borrowed a metal detector to hunt some beaches while on vacation and instead of finding coins or rings they found a clay pipe. These are a few pictures that they took. I know they said it has some markings but these are only the pictures I have right now. I will try and get a picture with the markings. Any info or leads on how to get more info would be appreciated. thank you Paul

Attachments

• claypipe2.jpg
    claypipe2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 451
  • claypipe3.jpg
    claypipe3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 452
  • claypipe5.jpg
    claypipe5.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 427

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Did it have by some chance, a piece of aluminum foil with pinholes inside it?

Sorry, I'm still looking for my old pipe.

Nice find.
Bluezman

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At a glance, your clay pipe is not the common clay pipe but a much more complicated style 3 piece pipe, an early water bong. Pipe, chamber, stem are separate pieces. I just finished grilling some awesome T-bones with the fixins and beers and have no ambition to research/post a picture, sorry bro! HH, Mike

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Bavaria Mike said:
I just finished grilling some awesome T-bones with the fixins and beers and have no ambition to research/post a picture, sorry bro! HH, Mike

:D :D That was funny...

Nice pipe piece! Good luck with the research...

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I would agree. I have found about 10 lately with coins and jettons from the period. The reason I say it is 18th instead of 17th century is the size of the bowl. As tobacco became more affordable, the pipe bowl size increased. If you have the measurements of the bowl, I can compare it to some I have just finished cleaning and we can put it on the "small" bowl old pipe to "large" bowl new pipe scale.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread