townsend1972
Tenderfoot
- Joined
- Oct 20, 2011
- Messages
- 4
- Reaction score
- 0
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting

I would imagine its possible to have a modern buckle depicting a pre-CW flag and we have 3 examples of the old flag on a buckle. I agree its "most likely" pre-CW based on the flag but I think its more prudent to be dated by the attachment. Could you post the link of your buckle Bob? Its pictured with post-CW buttons." We can date yours based of the design of the stars in the canton of the flag. 13 star flags have been used on US naval vessels by regulation from the mid 19th century. The 4-5-4 arrangement of stars was regulation after the Mexican War in the 1850s up till 1862 when regulations changed to make the canton display 13 stars arranged in a horizontal arrangement of 3-2-3-2-3. So we know this buckle with 4-5-4 dates in about mid 1850s to 1862 most likely. John Sexton
CivilWarDealer.com

...Kuger?
It could also solve the decades old Joe Lipsius buckle mystery pictured in several 80's treasure hunting mags.. http://www.69th-infantry-division.com/Joestuff/treasure_photos.htm...Most have soldered or riveted loop and eye attachment such as yours ...
John Sexton
CivilWarDealer.com

I think the reason the dating issue didn't get settled a week ago was John Sexton's opening line: "Your buckle is indeed most likely pre-Civil War or early war as you were told." If you read on he also says as CBG points out: "The manufacture of these buckles seem to date circa 1840-1890."
While this flag is pre-CW, the buckle is most likely post-CW.
Maybe I should stay quiet lol because CBG did a great job of explaining and nothing more needed to be said. 
Wow thats a lot of reproductions.SODABOTTLEBOB said:Check out this web site. It has 12 pages (hundreds) of Pre/During/Post Civil War belt buckles. I believe most of the ones pictured are reproductions, but if you click back to the guy's home page, you will read where every buckle pictured is based on an original, and that most of them he found himself since 1950. SBB
Link: http://hanoverbrass.com/more.htm
Future collectors may have a horrible time separating authentics from repros. Im sure some of these repros will be sold as fakes down the line intentionally or unintentionally. 
There are small things in each buckle that can be,"give aways",but...many you see on E-Bay are these very buckles expertly agedbigcypresshunter said:Wow thats a lot of reproductions.SODABOTTLEBOB said:Check out this web site. It has 12 pages (hundreds) of Pre/During/Post Civil War belt buckles. I believe most of the ones pictured are reproductions, but if you click back to the guy's home page, you will read where every buckle pictured is based on an original, and that most of them he found himself since 1950. SBB
Link: http://hanoverbrass.com/more.htmFuture collectors may have a horrible time separating authentics from repros. Im sure some of these repros will be sold as fakes down the line intentionally or unintentionally.
![]()
I think its horrible. There should be laws in place like the Hobby Protection Act with coins.kuger said:There are small things in each buckle that can be,"give aways",but...many you see on E-Bay are these very buckles expertly agedbigcypresshunter said:Wow thats a lot of reproductions.SODABOTTLEBOB said:Check out this web site. It has 12 pages (hundreds) of Pre/During/Post Civil War belt buckles. I believe most of the ones pictured are reproductions, but if you click back to the guy's home page, you will read where every buckle pictured is based on an original, and that most of them he found himself since 1950. SBB
Link: http://hanoverbrass.com/more.htmFuture collectors may have a horrible time separating authentics from repros. Im sure some of these repros will be sold as fakes down the line intentionally or unintentionally.
![]()
as a Vermonter the button bottom left of buckle is a state shield Vt button,after civil warSODABOTTLEBOB said:I realize the buckle below is not identical, but thought it might be similar enough to use as a gauge to approximately date the one in question. It is described as follows ...
CHILD'S CIVIL WAR ERA BLACK VELVET BELT ~ Circa 1865
"Having a brass buckle adorned with American flag and velvet belt is decorated with civil war era brass buttons."
~ * ~
Because of the angle the buckle is laying, it appears to be oval shaped. But I honestly think it's round.
I'm not a button expert, but maybe someone will recognize the ones on the belt and be able to confirm whether they are Civil War era or not. All I have to go on is the description.
SBB
bigcypresshunter said:I think its horrible. There should be laws in place like the Hobby Protection Act with coins.kuger said:There are small things in each buckle that can be,"give aways",but...many you see on E-Bay are these very buckles expertly agedbigcypresshunter said:Wow thats a lot of reproductions.SODABOTTLEBOB said:Check out this web site. It has 12 pages (hundreds) of Pre/During/Post Civil War belt buckles. I believe most of the ones pictured are reproductions, but if you click back to the guy's home page, you will read where every buckle pictured is based on an original, and that most of them he found himself since 1950. SBB
Link: http://hanoverbrass.com/more.htmFuture collectors may have a horrible time separating authentics from repros. Im sure some of these repros will be sold as fakes down the line intentionally or unintentionally.
![]()
Throw some out in the dirt for 10-20 years and then what do we have? A mess.