Any logging equipment experts here? How old are these finds?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a very interesting rotted log in the woods yesterday. It had four 18" long bolts sticking out of it and a very heavy iron spike (for lack of a better word) in the end. It also had an iron strap around the log to hold the spike in place. I hunted the area and found 4 more bolts ranging in length from 15" to 18" buried in the ground a couple of inches deep.

Now the question is, how old is this setup and what was it used for? There are some really large rocks stacked in this spot, so maybe it was some sort of quarry work? The bolts are heavy duty and the spike thing weighs 12 pounds! I carried all this stuff a good 500 feet, so it had better be old! Any help would be appreciated, especially as to what you would call the spike and strap setup. Thanks!

DSC03712.JPG DSC03713.JPG DSC03714.JPG DSC03715.JPG

Upvote 2

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
I'm guessing the apparatus attaching the retrieval cable to a large telephone pole type upright log; used to drag the cut trees to the trimming and loading spot. This type of logging began to decline in the 60's, at least in the northwest, in favor of the hydraulic machines used today.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could perhaps PM TNet member "Lumber Camp." If this is lumber related, he will know. Although I think these relics would postdate his time frame of expertise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread