🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any one know about this relic that I recovered here in Illinois, its made of brass and about 3" long

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20201110_201742.jpg

OP
OP
Oldrvrrat57

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's in the shape of a snake, maybe a small cabinet handle

Upvote 1

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a zoomorphic hook often identified as a sword hanger. Probably dates early 1800s, c. 1810-30s judging from the sites I’ve dug my two in, and the form of it is a serpent when viewed from the side

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Oldrvrrat57

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It’s a zoomorphic hook often identified as a sword hanger. Probably dates early 1800s, c. 1810-30s judging from the sites I’ve dug my two in, and the form of it is a serpent when viewed from the side
Thanks for the ID on this relic ,even though there was wasn't any conflicts or battles I still recover Civil War artifacts!

Upvote 1

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant to say pre Civil War
It could be a part of some sort of horse tack—many of those items look very closely like sword hangers because they essentially served the same purpose: attached to leather and clipped onto a metal ring. But I’ve recovered two of that design down here in Louisiana and they were both dug at civilian sites which also had military relics, so who knows. I’m certain of the time period but not necessarily the function of those items.

Upvote 4

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 3

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all. Hopefully these photos will disprove it being a shutter dog or a pocket watch chain hook.

I really think they’re horse tack related.
Could be horse tack. A quick search showed there is no shortage of snake/serpent themed bits. But at "about 3" long" it seems small for that. Also small for a shutter dog and, frankly, too big for a pocket watch hook. Anyone else have an idea to throw out there?

Upvote 2

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be horse tack. A quick search showed there is no shortage of snake/serpent themed bits. But at "about 3" long" it seems small for that. Also small for a shutter dog and, frankly, too big for a pocket watch hook. Anyone else have an idea to throw out there?
I’d love to ID these things. One was dug in a site that had no coins or relics later than 1846. But the main occupation period was 1790-1820. Second one was dug at a site whose relics and coins spanned 1780-1850. Of course anything can be dropped at anytime due to traffic patterns etc but my hunch is early 1800s on these, because I don’t find them in slightly antebellum sites or reconstruction era sites, of which I dig a lot of.

Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’d love to ID these things. One was dug in a site that had no coins or relics later than 1846. But the main occupation period was 1790-1820. Second one was dug at a site whose relics and coins spanned 1780-1850. Of course anything can be dropped at anytime due to traffic patterns etc but my hunch is early 1800s on these, because I don’t find them in slightly antebellum sites or reconstruction era sites, of which I dig a lot of.
Are there any specific wear points or any additional clues on your pieces?

Can you post a couple of pics, please?

I'm enjoying this one. It is a good research exercise. It's not the infamous "E button" (yet), but it's a good mystery to solve.

Upvote 3

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any specific wear points or any additional clues on your pieces?

Can you post a couple of pics, please?

I'm enjoying this one. It is a good research exercise. It's not the infamous "E button" (yet), but it's a good mystery to solve.
Agreed! When I get home from work I’ll take some more photos.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread