Any relic experts out there

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
Here is a 'relic' that I can't figure out what it is. Seems like it is made out of a pretty brittle metal. If you tap it with your finger nail or something else hard it has a ring to it. (almost like those musical tuning forks, but not quite that pure).

The handle end has been borken off so I have no idea how long it originally was.

Any relic experts out there or is this a stumper?

PBK will probably know!!

Attachments

• 090906relicback.jpg
    090906relicback.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 620
  • 090906relicfront.jpg
    090906relicfront.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 617
OP
OP
azmetaldetector

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
junkdigger said:
Could it be a barbeque or chuckwagon tool?

No, the points on it aren't sharp enough to pierce anything...they are too thick at the end.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
azmetaldetector

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Michelle said:
looks like a tuning fork..... ???
Well that's what I thought at first, but you can barely see it in the pic, but the 'tongs' are angled in the middle. I believe tuning forks are straight, right?

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
azmetaldetector said:
Michelle said:
looks like a tuning fork..... ???
Well that's what I thought at first, but you can barely see it in the pic, but the 'tongs' are angled in the middle. I believe tuning forks are straight, right?
Spring depressor/ compressor

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SWR said:
For Separating Ball Joints, Tie Rods and Pitman Arms
It doesnt look strong enough to be a Ball joint or Pitman Arm wrench.Also no wedge. It may be a plumbing wrench that was bent together a little. I cannot find the pic Im looking for but it is something like this.

Attachments

• plumbing wrench.jpg
    plumbing wrench.jpg
    919 bytes · Views: 484
Upvote 0
OP
OP
azmetaldetector

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
bigcypresshunter said:
SWR said:
It doesnt look strong enough to be a Ball joint or Pitman Arm wrench.Also no wedge. It may be a plumbing wrench that was bent together a little. I cannot find the pic Im looking for but it is something like this.
Nope doesn't look like that at all. It looks like a pair of BBQ tongs that are angled in the middle of the tong and the ends are not sharp.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
azmetaldetector said:
bigcypresshunter said:
SWR said:
Nope doesn't look like that at all. It looks like a pair of BBQ tongs that are angled in the middle of the tong and the ends are not sharp.
I couldnt find the pic I wanted, but I have (or used to have) a wrench that looks just like your pic. Then again, you have it in your hands and I could be wrong.
Whatever it is, it appears hollow and not very strong. Therefore not a ball joint seperator.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Right, not the correct construction for a ball joint tool. But I don't think its right for a sink drain wrench either. It appears that the angles of the remaining piece of this thing are symetrical, which makes me think that it isn't bent from its original shape. And if the metal seems brittle (as stated) it probably wouldn't have withstood bending. That being said, I really don't know what it is... so what the heck am I doing responding? :P

Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
To me it looks like a retaining clip. The fact that the prongs angle inward are indications that it was meant to stay put instead of slip off. Also, azmetaldetector said that it was made of brittle metal. That's an indication that it wasn't meant to be stressed by torquing something. Here's a couple of pictures that are similar:

12091.gif

gm7938.JPG

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still not certain on this being that kind of tool....the bend in the tines is for leverage...also the back view shows an opening as if a handle went in..... ???

Attachments

• sinkdrainwrench.jpg
    sinkdrainwrench.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 291
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks Michelle for finding a better pic of my guesstimate. (word?)
And that is just what it is, a guess. Maybe it would help if we knew the exact size, as a undersink plumbing wrench only comes in several sizes.

Can we get another pic with a size comparison?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Michelle said:
I'm still not certain on this being that kind of tool....the bend in the tines is for leverage...also the back view shows an opening as if a handle went in..... ???
OK, I see the rounded bend now. Even though a plumbing wrench can have a handle, a rounded bend would be compatible with a retaining clip.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibility.....maybe an older version????

Attachments

• dac-hinges.jpg
    dac-hinges.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0
OP
OP
azmetaldetector

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
It is hollow and not very thick.
I don't know if it helps but the site was a place where the owner grazed cattle. I have no idea but does it have something to do with a branding iron? It wasn't a huge site so it's not like he had a lot of cattle, and it wasn't a ranch per se, but that was what was on the site. Prior to that it was a pecan orchard.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread