Any suggestions for hunting in NC

OP
OP
Maka13

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sent a PM. Since you're already there, quickest way to find places to pan streams... try making a post in TNet prospecting forums. I do have an older GPAA mining guide, shows on map borders of gold placers, with article on where to pan. By the time I could find it, read it, somebody on the forum here would have it answered.
You’ve been awesome! I appreciate your suggestions. I am out of time now but I am super interested in hunting again. Maybe we can find me some spots in my area!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, I am fairly new at hunting but I have always wanted to treasure hunt. I am going to NC to Balsam Mountains in a couple of days ( I’m from Southern California) and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of where to go? I don’t get out much, so I really want to get the most out of this trip. :) Thank you in advance!
Welcome to the forum! :hello2:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’ve been awesome! I appreciate your suggestions. I am out of time now but I am super interested in hunting again. Maybe we can find me some spots in my area!
Out in western edge of Arizona, are some prospecting clubs with claims to go on. Roadrunner is probably more popular. A Yuma AZ club and Quartzsite prospecting/metal detecting club also. GPAA has claims in area NE of Salton Sea CA desert. Claims can close, then they add new.

OP
OP
Maka13

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :hello2:
Thank you so much. I can’t wait to share some of my adventures with all the kind people here. For the first time, I feel like I can share my stories freely. Lol everyone calls me weird or crazy for constantly looking for my next treasure hunt adventure!

OP
OP
Maka13

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • Panning in federally owned land in North Carolina is allowed as long as the purpose is recreational and you only take back small amounts of gold. Prospecting is also allowed on public land as long as extractions are minimal and historic sites are not disturbed. Suction dredging and sluicing are not permitted on public land.
So many rules, so little time. Ok so maybe the prospecting gods, wish for me to find something in North Carolina. My departure has been delayed, yet one more day. Severe weather has iced the mountain and apparently, nobody wants to take me to the airport :( I’m kind of bummed because I’d like to get home to my kids. But… if I have to stay here, I’m ready to replace my stolen metal detector and find myself any little treasure possible. Let’s do this!:)

OP
OP
Maka13

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out in western edge of Arizona, are some prospecting clubs with claims to go on. Roadrunner is probably more popular. A Yuma AZ club and Quartzsite prospecting/metal detecting club also. GPAA has claims in area NE of Salton Sea CA desert. Claims can close, then they add new.
I’m so mad at myself! I missed all your awesome suggestions today. I was driven around for 3 hours today. Just end up, right back where I started. I’m feeling super noob. I am determined to be a trooper! I stuck my hands in that freezing cold water, just hoping something awesome would happen. Lol no wonder my family calls me crazy. I need to find a store that sells metal detectors here…

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yuk... cold water, I'm too warm blooded. I'd rather be on the SE side of La Cholla Mt, hunting for old tailing piles below the surface. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Maka13

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yuk... cold water, I'm too warm blooded. I'd rather be on the SE side of La Cholla Mt, hunting for old tailing piles below the surface. :icon_thumright:
Lol I had to go with panning and rock hounding this time around. I’m working on getting a good quality metal detector. I’m keeping my eye out for a used one. So please let me know if you come across one.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett has pulse detector for prospecting. They tested it out in Brazil.

OP
OP
Maka13

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett has pulse detector for prospecting. They tested it out in Brazil.
What’s the difference in pulse detecting as opposed to regular detecting?

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s the difference in pulse detecting as opposed to regular detecting?
Pulse is PI (pulse induction detector) which generally are more suitable for beach saltwater hunting and less affected by ground minerals. PI detectors have a reputation for being a little deeper at saltwater beaches. Pulse detector discriminating and target id technology, doesn't compare (or even exists) with other types (which is the trade off, switching to them instead of a coin machine). Any detector made for gold prospecting, tends to find much smaller bits of junk. You can add a larger size coil for treasure hunting, these go deeper on large targets without detecting as much smaller metal bits. Check Garrett pulse see if it has a coin mode option. The older, not pulse Garrett gold detector, was like having both coin and gold detector in one machine. Don't know about new Garrett pulse, have not checked that out yet.

OP
OP
Maka13

Maka13

Apr 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulse is PI (pulse induction detector) which generally are more suitable for beach saltwater hunting and less affected by ground minerals. PI detectors have a reputation for being a little deeper at saltwater beaches. Pulse detector discriminating and target id technology, doesn't compare (or even exists) with other types (which is the trade off, switching to them instead of a coin machine). Any detector made for gold prospecting, tends to find much smaller bits of junk. You can add a larger size coil for treasure hunting, these go deeper on large targets without detecting as much smaller metal bits. Check Garrett pulse see if it has a coin mode option. The older, not pulse Garrett gold detector, was like having both coin and gold detector in one machine. Don't know about new Garrett pulse, have not checked that out yet.
When I get better, I will start my search for a metal detector.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a VERY FINE internet forum !! TREASURENET :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread