What's new

Any Thoughts?

Swartzie

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
791
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this on the edge of a field. Have no clue as to what it may be. Looks interesting. It has been in electrolysis for several hours as it was heavily encrusted. The location has some history going back to the mid 1700's.

Any input is much appreciated.

-Swartzie
 

Attachments

  • unknown1a.webp
    unknown1a.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 494
  • unknown1b.webp
    unknown1b.webp
    75.6 KB · Views: 484
  • unknown1c.webp
    unknown1c.webp
    91.8 KB · Views: 471
Piston rod - small engine.
 
Upvote 0
From Wiki

"In modern automotive internal combustion engines, the connecting rods are most usually made of steel for production engines, but can be made of aluminium (for lightness and the ability to absorb high impact at the expense of durability) or titanium (for a combination of strength and lightness at the expense of affordability) for high performance engines, or of cast iron for applications such as motor scooters. They are not rigidly fixed at either end, so that the angle between the connecting rod and the piston can change as the rod moves up and down and rotates around the crankshaft. Conrods, especially in racing engines, may be called "billet" rods, if they are machined out of a solid billet of metal, rather than being cast."
 
Upvote 0
La Beep said:
Piston rod - small engine.
That would be a REALLY small engine indeed. Unless Swartzie is a giant this could only work if we're talking about a Cox model airplane, etc.
I could see it being a chunk of a rocker arm, with the socket and all, but I'm not even comfortable with that. :P
 
Upvote 0
A clip of some sort :icon_scratch:
The top piece has the appearance of having been a spring. My guess.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
hmmmmm.....because of its size, made of steel, and apparent "arched" shape to the tails....I'd guess it might be a spring like used on a flintlock weapon. Its not like most springs I have seen......but there were many odd designs from Europe.
Just my WAG.

TiredIron
 
Upvote 0
TiredIron said:
hmmmmm.....because of its size, made of steel, and apparent "arched" shape to the tails....I'd guess it might be a spring like used on a flintlock weapon. Its not like most springs I have seen......but there were many odd designs from Europe.
Just my WAG.

TiredIron

The area in which the item was found has had a military expedition come through in the year 1764. http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=485
There's also plenty of native american history in the area from the mid 1700's.
 
Upvote 0
NHbenz said:
La Beep said:
Piston rod - small engine.
That would be a REALLY small engine indeed. Unless Swartzie is a giant this could only work if we're talking about a Cox model airplane, etc.
I could see it being a chunk of a rocker arm, with the socket and all, but I'm not even comfortable with that. :P
Chain saws
Weed eaters
Small boat engines
Lawn mowers
Just to name a few...
 
Upvote 0
I think you should continue the electrolysis, picking off the loose rust as you go. I think you will get alot more detail if you do. The thicker end could just be two pieces pushed apart by the rusting process. This is what has happened on some of the really old folding knives that I have found.
 
Upvote 0
Window crank
Mirror holder
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom