reply
Wow, you guys are amazing, a wealth of info to research and investigate. Thanks so much now I at the very least have some starting points to look into. I would love to find something Greek or Roman in the future and I now have lots of research to do. Going to buckle down on the internet and see what I can find from all this info! Much appriciated to everyone that has donated time and assistance here. You guys are the best! P.S. I had not considered the Viking stuff, LOL and I am Norse LOL...
Hey dreadnox, with all due respect for those who think that we can look for "ancient coins" (pre-columbus losses) here in the USA, the truth is: it will be random. I know a guy who found a Roman coin (200 AD or something weird) in Monterey, CA old-town demolition site. But he thinks it was a souvineer brought over in modern times.
If you're *really* wanting ancient coins, why not just fly over to Europe somewhere, and hunt farmer's fields? Some ag. fields there have had continual cultivation for 1000 or 2000 years. So you really don't even necessarily have to have a "known" site of a village or trading post, or fort, or .... whatever . Simply any cultivated field in countries that old, will have coins in them. Naturally, if you're at a cross-roads, or old village site, etc... the # of finds will be better, than random farmer fumble finger losses
The concept of people getting coins (and even ancient ones) as souvineers when travelling to foreign countries, is not a modern concept. Anyone who has ever hunted sites where soldiers returned from WWI and WWII will see this human nature: There will be European coins found in sites, that are obviously brought home by returning GI's. And the concept of ancient coins being bandied about, is not exclusive to our day-&-age of metal detectors. For example: In the 1920s "Egyptology" (mummies, pyramaids, etc...) was "all the rage". And tourists to the streets of Egypt and ancient countries, at that time, could simply buy ancient coins from street vendor merchants tables.
So an ancient coin appearing in the USA could have been brought here even in modern times. But that's a needle in a hay-stack. If you really want ancient coins, head to Europe
