What's new

Any Veterinarians/Doctors here?

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2008
Messages
1,183
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
78729
Detector(s) used
dfx
I recently had a biopsy done on my best friend (female german shepard). The biopsy was done on the inside of her lip (inside her mouth). My question is, do they usually put 'disolving' sutures in that location, or is it generally 'need to take her back to be removed?'. I'm kind of a 'shade-tree-surgeon', so I know that non-disolving means they are black plastic, while 'disolving' means they are kind of clear and yellow/transparent looking. (??)

The reason I ask such an question, is that the vet that I took her to (the very last time I will take her there) is somewhat of an when it comes to this stuff. When ever I call, it's a different person on the phone every time, and they like to put you on hold for 30 minutes (so you will 'go-away'). Also, the original vet at this place was great, but he retired about 2 years ago, and his son is now the sole vet at this place.

I've called up there numerous times to ask if they are 'dissolving sutures' in her mouth, all to no avail. They are quick to say, "Bring her up here and we'll see", but that's another fee that I'd like to avoid if possible because I'm currently unemployed.

The quick answer is, of course I'll bring her up there if I can't get an answer, but I'm hoping that someone HERE (a hero) can tell me if 'blond colored' sutures are dissolving. I looked in her mouth, and there does not appear to be any sutures there any more at all. No black or blond colored sutures. Nothing!. BUT, my worst fear is that if they were non-dissolving, and the skin has grown over them (yes, it's a very shot time frame, but I'm still just curious).

Just some background, when I left with my drugged up baby from the vet, no-body said anything about returning. I was about a week later that I became suspicious (me being pro-active and all) about the stitches they put in her mouth. So, I've looked in her mouth, and as of today (about 1.5 weeks since they've been there, I do not see any stitches in her mouth. No black, or blond colored stitches. They appear to be 'gone'.
 
I'm not a doctor but I play one on TNet,

If the stitches appear to be gone and your animal is showing no ill effects, they are most likely dissolving.
BUT...
There is no excuse for the unprofessional attitude. They know exactly what they used, and how much was used. You are correct that they are trying to extract more money from you by having you bring the dog to their office for the very information they could provide on the phone.
Your next conversation with them should include words like 'states attorney general', then you should definitely find another vet.
Looks like this apple rolled a bit too far from the tree.
 
Strange. My vet's never charges for a follow up visit when he/she does surgery on any of my animals. Yes, my vet's are a husband and wife team. She does the small animals and he does the farm animals. Great people. Good luck
 
texastee2007 said:
if they are not dissolving...they will start to act like a splinter. You can remove them yourself if it is time to...you have to have your patient be patient and have just a bit of a steady hand....I took my own out of my wisdom teeth....my foot....other people...snip snip with cuticle scissors and a pair of tweezers....boil them first....use really clean procedures unless the area is red and inflamed it it is you already have an infection going.

It's funny you should mention that.

Long story short, the 'vet' didn't remember, and wanted me to bring her in.... So, I asked my dogie (she's very smart), if she would mind if I poked around her mouth. Low and behold, I found 2 sutures of 'clear' color. My wonderful, smart German Shepard let me take her under the light (that I usually use for work), and let me poke and prod and eventually, with her remaining perfectly still, she let me clip the base of the knot of the stitches and remove them with tweezers. So, it's all good!!!. But, just for curiosity, I currently have the removed stitches sitting in brine water to see if they will dissolve. Seems to me that a removable stitch will be black, while a desolveable one will be one where you can't see the color of it (aka:clear).
 
If your vet used vicryl sutures they could last weeks but they still dissolve. Chromic gut, not as long
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom