Anybody Else get Absolutely SICK of Clad?

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well not really sick, just tired of getting up and down and up and down for quarters. I keep going back to the sledding hill for something to do here and when I thought I cleared out all the quarters, I find another batch in a different part of the park,

I have two weeks left here at this park before heading back to Michigan. I can't wait to get back into finding silver and gold.

Yesterday I hunted the red rectangle:

56 more quarters, 6 dimes and 3 pennies. A large belt buckle and some kind of huge Kids Zone soccer origination medal.

Today I hunted both the hill and the rectangle for laughs and giggles.

72 more quarters, 10 dimes, 4 nickels including a Canadian and 4 pennies. (Make that 9 dimes and 5 pennies!)

So far the total quarters stands at 680 or 170.00 worth. I have also found 7 1.00 coins. I haven't counted the other clad. I pass up most the nickel, penny and dime signals cause there is just way too many and it is hard for me to keep getting up and down. I do pick up all the coins in a pocket spill though.

At least underwater I don't have that problem and I certainly don't have that much clad to contend with!

Last edited:
Upvote 17

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you should say that. The short answer is YES! :(
See my post today for more on this.

Still, congrats on finding! :)

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad is not my thing, but I don't know if I would complain. You are at damn near $200 out of one park.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could pull that much out of one park I wouldn't complain. That much in coins makes me think there has to be a few good rings hidden in there too, probably those nickel signals you are passing up.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad is good for learning how to metal detect. I figure the majority of folks who enter into this sport are looking for silver, gold, jewelry, old coins, and relics. I spent my weekend bouncing my coil off dirt clods and corn stalks. Not much clad in corn fields. I'd prefer and old iron relic from 100 years or more back over a handful of clad. If I am training a newbie to hunt I'd head for the sledding hill just like you did. That would be a perfect place to get your feet wet into locating and identifying coins for a novice detectorist. If I am going out for a challenge with a group to see who can recover the most clad in a day then, game on. Where's my Monster drink?:headbang:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really think you're just looking at it wrong. I'd be thinking, that much closer to a shiny new gotsta - gotsta = short for a gotsta have it. Or a case of Absorbine for the knees! Either way you think about it my friend it's free money! Ya just gotta have fun with it!!!!!!

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing like clad filled days to get your quadrices and glutes screaming. I broke my knee cap 3 years ago so you can imagine how the old knee feels after digging clad all day. It's definitely exercise! Money is better than an empty finds bag :)

cajamk

Jan 5, 2017
Northern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess still being rather new to this great sport I do not mind finding clad. I would not call it "free" though. We do work for it. Bending and cleaning! I am keeping all my clad to help pay for the knee replacement I may eventually have to get from bending down to see what the detector has found!! (just kidding!)

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I find clad coins super annoying...but I still pick them up.

Those times that it's recover a target, stand, half-swing and beep, bend recover target, quarter-swing beep and repeat - might as well do lunges at home! So annoying.

I just think about shopping on Amazon at that point. :icon_thumleft:

My guess is you're not there for the coins. 8-):skullflag:

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost makes ya wish quarters were magnetic. heh

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clad is not my thing, but I guess it would be better than not swinging at all. Congrats on a good day

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to many of us like clad Scuba, but at least your 56 Quarters were not an additional 56 pennies instead of those quarters !

rich f

May 29, 2013
mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clad pays for our gas and batterys

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the feeling well! I still dig quarters since every once in a while one of those signals turns out to be a big silver ring. I can't stand clad dimes and Memorial pennies though, they drive me nuts! Or parks littered with near surface Zincoln signals - those are the worst!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you miss Michigan. I'm sure you know of the Arboretum I have got lots of silver there . I could go to the main area and pull clad all day almost every sweep.I have mason jars filled with all my clad I save all my finds when I fill a huge mason jar I put em in my rock tumbler then start over again.I try to only find silver I will dig all coins. My friend says being outside and excersise is a lot of the fun well that's for the people who don't find any silver.. LOL Take it easy people I have the AT PRO and have swung over silver and clad a zillion times and I usually can tell when I have silver. I try to research old parks fields that were used a lot but not after the 70s I'm working on getting permission for the Scio Drive in I'm sure you might have heard of that place. See you soon Bob weather is nice this weekend and today 70s

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread