ANYBODY FIND ANY OLD SILVER IN FLORIDA?

archer48

Greenie
Nov 13, 2009
Boulogne Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500.. AT PRO
I live close to Fernandina Beach and not to far from St. Augustine Florida....Both places have had people running around there since the 1500's or there abouts. I like to check the Daily Finds and see many people finding "seated", large sents, real old IH's...don't see much real old stuff from around here......seem like it would be here also......anybody find any real old US coins aound here....I know we got the pirate deal, and Spanish Hurricanes sowed up but...was wondering about old silver US coins???????

Upvote 0

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Silve can be found in Floirda, but personally, I have not found very much of it. You have to find some of the older areas of Florida and you best bet would be to hunt the older homes in those areas.

Just my two cents.

Ray S ECenFL

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
Florida is probably (outside of NC, VA and NJ) the most overdetected state in the US. That, coupled with the fact that one of the biggest population influxes in FL came towards the end of the 'silver coin' era, combine THAT with the large retiree population with disposable income to buy high end detectors and the time to ALL DAY LONG, year round to do nothing but hunt....it's tricky, and it's only going to get worse.

i know they are found there, but it's a little more "tough"

You have to "think outside the box" in areas with a lot of detectorists.
I don't hunt Florida anymore, but you have to about go where the competition doesn't go anymore. Or at least hunt with a PI which goes deeper and hunt were the sand has been washed away to get down to the clay or shell layers.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think our biggest problem is the amount of land that's been developed here in Florida.
Even in areas with plenty of history, it's hard to find a place to swing your coil.
Central Florida is still a little untamed in areas, and small towns abound in certain places with plenty of areas to detect.
The costal areas... uhg... the history is usually under the nearest condo. :-\

Bran <><

OP
OP
A

archer48

Greenie
Nov 13, 2009
Boulogne Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500.. AT PRO
Thanks for the replies. The developemnt theory is so true. The coast from north to south to several miles inland is a giant slab of concrete. And probably for years the people who post on here that..."the ground is now frozen solid...can't wait til spring"...have been moving down here are swinging MD's like crazy...lol

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well being that florida did not become part of america till 1819 / 1821 era and did not become a state till 1845 "* --and the fact that having long been a spanish colony and the fact that spanish money was commonly and legal used as "legal tender money" in the USA until the 1830's -- spanish silver was the money of the times in florida until at least 1830's --- then over time the american money slowly forced the spanish money out circulation . --so your not going to fimd a lot of pre 1840 silver american money in florida short of a pirate stash robbed from the americans . --- during the american revoltionary war --florida --the 14th colony -- stayed british loyal -- the british got florida from spain in 1763 and after losing the american revoltionary war gave it back to spain in 1783 -- thus the brits only ruled florida for 20 years * and commonly used spanish money as well as english coinage.

older american silver coinage commonly found in florida would be 1830 to 1860 era --- once the civil war started money as such "dried up" folks hoarded what little real cash ( copper ,silver and gold coins) they had -- the ill liked paper money became common for everyday use.

after the war florida as a former confederate state suffered "hard fiscal times" as most southern states did -- money was scarce and hard to come by, so there was little money to "lose" in the first place and if lost --it was hunted for hard as folks could ill afford the loss of money in those hard times. ---the loss of a dollar back then was a big deal --since a days wages * --- it would be like losing about 100 - 160 of todays dollars (a days wages-- 8 hours x say $12.50 to $20 per hour ) how hard would you look for that?

a (copper) cent would be like a $1 bill -- a five cent piece (made of nickle) $5 --a silver dime would be like a $10 bill , a silver quarter $25 and a silver half dollar $50 and a silver dollar coin $100 in those days -- smaller coins like dimes were more common and higher value "big coins" were less common -- just like today most folks do not carry a wad of 100's in the wallets -- but rather $1 ,$5, 10's and 20's are normally carried . with a few 50's and 100's here and there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread