Anybody have a jewelry program for trashy areas?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know people say don't use notch, but trashy areas just impossible to work without a little bit of notch. Also noticed the higher frequencies are not necessarily recommended for high aluminum trash areas. So I was thinking 8 or 12 kHz. I have the Andy Sabisch book and there is a high trash program there. I guess where the notch goes depends on what you expect to find. Men's rings are higher numbers. Maybe need two different programs--one for men's and one for ladies. I'm trying to narrow it down as far as possible. Thanks for any help.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know, jewelry can potentially be found all up and down. some are willing to miss out because of certain trash. yesterday, I dug a lot of pull tabs and pull rings that covered a lot of numbers. Even dug some that were higher than normal and a few that were lower. Different brands, age and types are of different alloys. Yeah, they are tough on the higher freqs. I usually tackle those numbers anyways for a while until I am tired of them and will do so until I have them pretty well cleaned out of an area. But, this is not in a super dense trashy area. I guess we really need X RAY detectors so we can actually see what is in the ground, should be on the market later this year LOL.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kinda figured this wasn't going to be easy. Add to it a new Deus user and that multiplies things.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately, you need to dig all mid-tones (pull tabs...etc.) to find the gold. Now with that said, I have found gold at the lower and higher side of the mid-tones. :dontknow:

When in doubt, dig it out! :icon_thumleft:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting is all about balancing tradeoffs and when it comes to jewelry hunting in trash there is no magic bullet because modern aluminum trash occupies the same TID region as gold - someone's cruel idea of practical joke on metal detectorists. If you notch, you may miss something so the only thing you can do is dig it all, or play the odds that a narrow notch may knock out some of the trash and hopefully not a gold ring also. If you want the DEUS to hit harder on gold, which is a mid-conductor, then up the frequency to 18 khz or higher (unfortunately, aluminum will also hit harder, too, for the same reason). Cherry picking high conductive silver is a lot easier in that kind of trash, but it you want to go for the gold, you have to pay the price. HTH.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for your input. I still feel there is some "magic" notch numbers out there somewhere. Maybe even two or three numbers to reduce some of the worst offenders. I want to work the extreme trash areas and there's no way to dig it all, no way. I'll figure out something.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The program that I have followed is dig it all and the next visit things get better and and the third visit it is very good. End result is a bit of treasure and a pile of waste with a ton of valuable learning engraved into your grey matter. Even at that it is still fun, the extra effort makes for a good feeling at the end of the day.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know people say don't use notch, but trashy areas just impossible to work without a little bit of notch. Also noticed the higher frequencies are not necessarily recommended for high aluminum trash areas. So I was thinking 8 or 12 kHz. I have the Andy Sabisch book and there is a high trash program there. I guess where the notch goes depends on what you expect to find. Men's rings are higher numbers. Maybe need two different programs--one for men's and one for ladies. I'm trying to narrow it down as far as possible. Thanks for any help.

You are not asking for much. Lol
So what could you do to find gold rings. Maybe some other bigger gold items.

First you need to dodge the higher conductors. And also imo dodge the deeper stuff.
So knowing how Deus works. Notch out higher area.
12 kHz will do.
Take a nickel and sweep, thinks it 56.
Notch out 10 points below nickel and ten points above nickel.
You could run tx power 1.

Now some nonferous comingled will give average iD. So you may dig some high conductive coins mixed with lower conductors.
Tone nuance. It might help you limit your digging on some of the targets you get with notch recommended above.
Lots of digging but in areas suited for lost rings you’ll eventually find some.

Reactivity I recommend is 2.0 or 2.5. So you keep ID more accurate and so it don’t run to high side ID wise hence you won’t hear with recommend notch above.

Now, youncould try narrowing your accepted window by notching 5 points below nickel and 5 points above nickel.
Would mean less digging but higher chance of your dragnet letting a good ring slip through.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your info. I have some other programs with notches and i hope to combine everything together and whittle away as much as possible on the notches. Being a new user I really need to just work some low to mid trash areas for a while before I attempt to make a fool out of myself. Seeing how my memory is shot I need to bring along a pencil and paper and record all the junk targets and try to figure out where i want the very narrow notches depending on how many trash items I find. Again, the idea is to eliminate just some of the worst offenders so maybe I have a chance at the impossible--the extreme trash zone, where all the other detectorists fear to go. Right now my back yard is overwhelming. I'll get something figured out.

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your info. I have some other programs with notches and i hope to combine everything together and whittle away as much as possible on the notches. Being a new user I really need to just work some low to mid trash areas for a while before I attempt to make a fool out of myself. Seeing how my memory is shot I need to bring along a pencil and paper and record all the junk targets and try to figure out where i want the very narrow notches depending on how many trash items I find. Again, the idea is to eliminate just some of the worst offenders so maybe I have a chance at the impossible--the extreme trash zone, where all the other detectorists fear to go. Right now my back yard is overwhelming. I'll get something figured out.

Junk target ID is not he problem. The fact gold rings come in over a pretty good span. So one has to targets in that range.
Just avoiding wasting your time with zincolns, and clad and foil smaller will be a time saver. Hence dig more holes with higher probability of gold in them.

Get read to dig beaver tails, tabs p, etc. loads of them. Comes with the territory.

Going after bigger class rings is a mistake imo. Will cause you to dig loads more holes. Payoff not worth it if after gold. Some class rings ring as high as zincoln, could be a tad higher too.

I wish junk had universal ID numbers. Too bad it don’t. Comes in many shapes, sizes, and conductivity levels.

Last edited:

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold hunting is for troopers. Forget about doing a site per hunt if you want to find gold. You'll need to spend multiple hunts.......days maybe weeks depending on how long you hunt each time. Clean out one small manageable section of everything but iron each visit. Gold comes in all different ranges and not all of it sounds good.

What you can do to improve your odds is use your head to analyse the movement of people. Where are they spending most of their time, where are they frolicking, where are they changing their clothes or storing their baggage, where is the shade on a hot day, where are they travelling to and from their cars, or exits? You'll eventually start to see patterns of behaviour that can help improve your odds.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread