What's new

Anybody have a technique for cleaning Cupro-nickel?

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,354
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
I found an 1885 Swiss 5 Rappen coin today, but it is cruddy. It is made out of Cupro-nickel (copper nickel )

Any ideas on how to clean it?
 

Attachments

  • 1885 Swiss.webp
    1885 Swiss.webp
    32.4 KB · Views: 107
I've been playing with my ultrasonic cleaner now for about 6 months. It helps on finds like this, but isn't the final answer
 
Upvote 0
I've been playing with my ultrasonic cleaner now for about 6 months. It helps on finds like this, but isn't the final answer

Thanks ..I will give it a try.
 
Upvote 0
When they get that bad, the more you clean off the "crud", the less detail you will have. Andre's pencils will probably be your best bet.
 
Upvote 0
When they get that bad, the more you clean off the "crud", the less detail you will have. Andre's pencils will probably be your best bet.

Thanks. I need to get one of those pencils.
 
Upvote 0
When they get that bad, the more you clean off the "crud", the less detail you will have. Andre's pencils will probably be your best bet.

I agree with what you're saying here Mark. :thumbsup:
When there's this much environmental damage to the surface, it's unlikely that any type of restoration will make this coin presentable.

I'll also be the first to admit... the reality is that some of the finds we make just can't be restored. :dontknow:
Dave
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you want to get rid of the green clumps, I'd soak it in olive oil for about a month and then use a toothpick to pop those off. It's not a particularly rare coin, so, even if you could improve the condition somewhat, it won't do much to it's value. I'm sure it's valuable to you though, as it's your "Treasure"! :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
If you want to get rid of the green clumps, I'd soak it in olive oil for about a month and then use a toothpick to pop those off. It's not a particularly rare coin, so, even if you could improve the condition somewhat, it won't do much to it's value. I'm sure it's valuable to you though, as it's your "Treasure"! :icon_thumleft:


Nah .. not real valuable, but a fun find since it's the only one I have found in my 50 years of metal detecting.
 
Upvote 0
Jeeez, you must be an old fart like me!..... 48+ years and counting....
 
Upvote 0
LOL .. Statistically, I should be pushing up daises.

Lot of us getting OLD here! Fortunately we still have Don Jose still with us in his 90's.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'd use an old phone charger and do electrolysis
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom