What's new

Anybody here melt the coins?

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
1,402
Reaction score
118
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has any body here melted the silver halves?

DA
 
Upvote 0
Only one I know of who melts them is jewelerdave.
 
my understanding is it is an expensive process and wouldn't be worth it unless you have lots and lots of silver to melt....JewelerDave can give you more info
 
You also have a known quantity of silver when it is in coin form. Unless you are certified to stamp that brick 999 fine there isn't a good way to prove how much silver you have.
 
Realistically speaking though, you have an approximate amount with the coin count. The amount stated in the books is for uncirculated specimens, it does not take into account wear. For a few coins, it is not a big deal. A couple of thousand though, and it could make a difference. I have better than 2000 40%, and a few of those are pretty worn and a couple also have holes, so those could also make a small difference.
 
Darth Walker said:
Has any body here melted the silver halves?

DA

I don't think many people here have the equipment to smelt coins themselves. I believe that a few people have sold their coins directly to a smelter/refiner and a few more people have sold their coins to a dealer who then sold them to a refiner. If you care to expand on your question you might get a better answer.

HH,
65GT350
 
Sure for the fun of it. ;D
 
I tried once but the match burnt my finger. NEVER AGAIN!
 
Darth Walker said:
Has any body here melted the silver halves?

DA


Would not be a smart move financially. First, dealers are selling junk silver for premiums that go way over spot right now. They are not sending these coins to a smelter where they get less than spot. I think it will be this way for a long time with the current silver market.

If a person wants to melt the coins on their own they are taking a well-recognized and popular, high in demand item and creating a silver product of unknown or possibly questionable purity and weight (unless done by a refiner with a recognizable hallmark). Even if the product is made correctly as far as weight and purity, how many silver investors are gonna jump at the chance to buy what you made? Some day you may want to sell it or need the money.

Jim
 
jim4silver said:
Darth Walker said:
Has any body here melted the silver halves?

DA


Would not be a smart move financially. First, dealers are selling junk silver for premiums that go way over spot right now. They are not sending these coins to a smelter where they get less than spot. I think it will be this way for a long time with the current silver market.

If a person wants to melt the coins on their own they are taking a well-recognized and popular, high in demand item and creating a silver product of unknown or possibly questionable purity and weight (unless done by a refiner with a recognizable hallmark). Even if the product is made correctly as far as weight and purity, how many silver investors are gonna jump at the chance to buy what you made? Some day you may want to sell it or need the money.

Jim
Yeah, in other words, melt 'em on your own and turn something with some value into something virtually worthless!
 
This is a sin and should not be done...

Don't ever melt your coins or send them to be melted.

Bad, bad, bad...

Keep @ it and HH!!
 
I have made double sided coin rings
 
I dont think it would be profitable unless you had connections like Jeweler dave. I think he gets a great deal on smelting and then ofcourse turns the silver into jewelry which can sell at a good premium over spot. I hate to see old coins get melted. I would like the history to always be around ya know.

Golden Silver
 
hit80s said:
I have made double sided coin rings
Not to hi-jack this thread but IT would be cool to see some pictures!! Perhaps start a new thread with how you went about it pure trial and error or had a method?
thx
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom