What's new

Anybody know what this button represents?

creskol

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
13,882
Reaction score
23,352
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
2
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like I have seen it before, but can't remember what it is.
 

Attachments

  • buttontemp.webp
    buttontemp.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 254
Thought I had something with Chi Sigma Iota organization.
no go. established too late. still looking :read2:
The key would be the order of the letters, I think the central I would be for the last word of three.
 
Upvote 0
that's a tough one, I looked through a lot of lettered buttons.
Can't find a match, wondering now if that is an 'I' :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
steelheadwill said:
that's a tough one, I looked through a lot of lettered buttons.
Can't find a match, wondering now if that is an 'I' :icon_scratch:

I thought it was an "I" well, but then thought it might be an academic scroll .. maybe some sort of school/college button?
Don't know, but appreciate your efforts. :thumbsup: :read2:
 
Upvote 0
creskol said:
steelheadwill said:
that's a tough one, I looked through a lot of lettered buttons.
Can't find a match, wondering now if that is an 'I' :icon_scratch:

I thought it was an "I" well, but then thought it might be an academic scroll .. maybe some sort of school/college button?
Don't know, but appreciate your efforts. :thumbsup: :read2:
The letters CS, South Carolina, Confederate States..
you probably already researched this, I can't seem to come up with more.
 
Upvote 0
I found this - not sure if it signifies the same thing but thought I would post it on the chance:

http://www.tomstreasures.com/find.html

bap13.jpg


It was found in the South, is non magnetic, initials CS, appears very old, pendent loop may have been added, perhaps it was a hat or lapel pin, insignia or metal, any info would help, measures 1-1/2 x 3/4"
Thank You

KEVIN SAYS: Greetings!
Your pendant appears to be 3 letters making up a cypher of the letters: S I C not just 2.
Looking at the suspender loop, I doubt it was a hat or lapel pin because it would not hang properly, but it is possibly a privately made watch fob. You need to determine if it is silver or not, and if there are hallmarks or a makers name. this will give you a date of manufacture, where it was made and possibly by whom.
Being non-magnetic is certainly indicative of it being silver, however this could also be a casting of zinc or white casting metal which is also non-magnetic.
Time for a trip to a jeweller....
Good luck
Kevin
 
Upvote 0
I recently collected in similar styled image in my genealogy research, but with different letters, H & C for Home Circle, an organization in the 1890's New York area, maybe it's a sub-group like a 'son's of' kind of thing. The hooked C looks similar. In the attached text it reads Supreme Council could be a member of the "I"nner circle?
 

Attachments

  • 1 home circle copy.gif
    1 home circle copy.gif
    128.3 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • button GCS entangled.webp
    button GCS entangled.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 186
Upvote 0
BCH got me in the right direction, at least we have a manufacturers match for the die.
Now to find who/what it was made for, I previously wrote to waterbury concerning a button, I think they replied.. Ah yes, I recall they told me that a script 'PP' button I founds dies was made for Peabody MA Police, Ca 1870, I found mine in Portsmouth NH..
I don't expect an answer soon with the holiday and all, HH Everyone!!
http://www.waterburybutton.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=18282
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 07-01 014.webp
    NH FINDS 07-01 014.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • buttontemp2.webp
    buttontemp2.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom