tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me it looks like a type of hook you'd pound in to a rock face crack as an anchor and hitch point. Is there an old rock quarry around the location you found it?

Upvote 0

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i agree...looks like a loggin tool!

Upvote 0

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
MXT 300MM PISTOL PROBE FISKARS SPADE AND SHOVEL 12INCH,4X6 AND 8X6 SEF
XT600 TO GET THERE

BEST FIND TO DATE 1787 FUGIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my 2 cents,looks like something that would be driven into a tree,flatten part would go with grain of tree I believe,maybe just an anchor for rope.

Upvote 0

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
MXT 300MM PISTOL PROBE FISKARS SPADE AND SHOVEL 12INCH,4X6 AND 8X6 SEF
XT600 TO GET THERE

BEST FIND TO DATE 1787 FUGIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree...actually thought someone could have fabricated a hook for a clothes line to use between trees..

Does the hook end look like it had been beaten on from being driven into something hard?

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wouldn't be a rock piton as they have closed holes so you can hook into it without possibility of attachment coming off.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some older telephone or power poles had wire running up the side with a wooden half round that was routed out to cover wire and had "U" staples to hold it on download.jpg maybe the part you found was an early version of those.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a hold down for a workbench.

The thought is a good one, but the problem is that the end that is hammered flat would make the hole for the bench dog bigger than the rounded part of the shaft and the hole and shaft of a bench dog being tight is what makes the dog work properly, so the flattened end being bigger than shaft means it wouldn't stay tight in the bench dog's hole in workbench.

Upvote 0

jude061

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
possibly some device to be used in fireplaces to hang cauldrons, etc. a great resource on wrought iron items is "hooks, rings, and other things" by frank barnes.

Upvote 0
S

stefen

The thought is a good one, but the problem is that the end that is hammered flat would make the hole for the bench dog bigger than the rounded part of the shaft and the hole and shaft of a bench dog being tight is what makes the dog work properly, so the flattened end being bigger than shaft means it wouldn't stay tight in the bench dog's hole in workbench.

First, its my opinion that the item is a hand wrought bench dog...therefore I my position is as follows...

What we don't know is the purpose for the flattened end of the shaft...its probably serves multiple purposes...

In many cases, the shaft of a bench dog's shape and holding power is based solely on the thickness of the bench top or vice itself and the thickness of the board or item being held, and not necessarily on the bench dog's shaft shape or dimensions.

Many woodworkers make their own tools and accessories, and some of which may be modified for multiple uses, hence the flatted end.

The dimensions of the square or diameter of a round dog hole also plays a part in the holding power.

As an example, the holes in my carver's bench top are 3/4" square X 2" deep, and the holes in the vices are 1" square X 8" deep...either of which could utilize the hook shown above.

However, I prefer to use my handmade walnut or maple bench dogs.

I custom-made my own 3' X 8' carvers bench using 8/4 X 8" Maple with 3/4 X 2" Walnut dog bands, and end and side vices using 8/4 X 8" Walnut double faced with 1/4" saddle leather, and home-made screws, double guides and handles.

I find that there is less damage using wooden dogs as opposed to steel dogs...(although I have both)

Therefore my vote is for bench dogs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking a hook for bringing a phone line into a house, before they started using porcelain insulators. Put a loop around it and tie with a piece of wire then down the side of the house. I've got some newer ones laying around and I'll try to dig em out & get pics up.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions