Painting or Marker ?

eborac

Jan 15, 2005
North Queensland, Australia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi,
These stripes are about 8" high & there's a small red circle between them. I'm wondering if they could be Aboriginal paintings or markers made by shipwreck survivors. There are no other paintings in the area within several miles that I'm aware of.
regards
HH Screen Shot P.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the pigment colors I'd say aboriginal, but that's just a guess. Look the area over well for other evidence. This link gives details of the pigments used by the prehistoric peoples. Seems they understood what to use all over the world even here in the state of Colorado where I live. What was used to make that art could be a clue to who put them there
Prehistoric Colour Palette: Paint Pigments Used by Stone Age Artists

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, my first thought was aboriginal.

Upvote 0
S

stefen

I've seen similar near our mountain home...archeologists have no clue as to the meaning...

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would agree that they are Aboriginal paintings! IMHO, they may be the record of events where the occupants had to shelter in the cave for longer periods due to some catastrophic event with the red circle indicating the sun and the red and white stripes indicating periods of days as in sunlight and darkness.:dontknow: You might want to take more pics and experiment with different lighting and maybe some filtering as there is likely much more that is not seen and/or easily recognizable which may come to light. Also, careful searching of the floor of the cave for tools and everyday use items, may point to the occupants and the period that they resided there.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you play around with the contrast and lowering the brightness, one can see that there is quite a bit more in the pic. There is a somewhat rectangular shape to the left of the red circle, a weak red stripe resembling a forward slash midway between the two areas of stripes and another but weaker red circle to the right of the right patch of red stripes and some red shape above the right patch of stripes. Hopefully with different lighting and with the use of some filtering, the weaker features will show up better.

Frank

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread