What's new

anybody seen any artifacts like this?

Older The Better

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2017
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
8,098
Golden Thread
0
Location
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smooth artifact..webpsmooth artifact b.webp
I was scouting a new area and I found this literally in the same scoop with a scraper and a few flakes, its what I call river rock which I think is some kind of flint, normally I would toss this out but this was found on a hill with exclusively flakey angular sandstone.
With it being found among other artifacts and the only rock of its kind it makes me wonder if this wasn't some kind of tool... it also fits the ultra scientific test of ho does it feel in your hand if you hold it like a tool
 
Upvote 0
Genuine rock... nothing more.
 
How it feels in your hand if you hold it like a tool is actually the opposite of a scientific test. It's a subjective call that actually proves nothing. I would agree that it's a rock, not an artifact.
 
Would you please show us the other artifacts you have found there? Because that piece there looks to be just a natural stone to me and two other very knowledgeable collectors so far and I believe others will say the same.
 
contact the smithsonian
 
If anything it could be a stone that was used to grind dust off to make paint pigment, we have some in our area that was used for that. Still not much more than rock and conversation piece but neat to have a few of them.
 
Even though my 2 cents worth is currently trading on the international monetary market for a Peso and a half, I can concur that I have never seen an artifact like that
 
what would its function be...how do you see it used. if you can answer these sorts of questions, it should tell you a lot
 
sorry guys id really like to show you what I'm talking about but I get logged out of my account every time I try to load a pic then I'm told I don't have permission to post because I'm not logged in... been going on for over a month now and on rare occasion I can get through.
 
What are you using to log in with?

Sorry it is just a rock...
 
Scraper.webpPossible tools.webpmatrix.webpnot like the other.webpSmooth artifact..webpFlakes.webp
I think I may have solved the problem, so theres my scraper, the matrix a bunch of rough angular sandstone, a picture of possible tools, a pic of flakes, and the oddball smooth round stone in the matrix, I went back and sifted 3 5 gallon buckets and not a single other rock like it... also unfortunately only about 10 flakes which dampens my hopes of it being a site. so going back to my original post this smooth rock just doesn't fit and I was wondering if anybody knew of any similar tools
 
Last edited:
that pink one is a hafted something, can't tell the size...the white ones look to be hand axes (if they are the size i think they are)...or scrapers or cores...again. can't tell...the original one is just a rock...no purpose. i think you do have some sort of site...keep poking around.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom