Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you watched the interview you would hear Brent estimate there is $400 million left.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
The original estimate was 14m pesos in silver. That was on the Capitana and the Almiranta. In todays dollars, approximately $14,000,000,000 (that's billion for those that didn't count the zero's). There is really no way to tell what's left. After the King got his, the Spanish halted salvage efforts. The pirates, wreckers and what have you (looters) took a bundle for a few years until it was abandoned. Then we have modern day looters. The treasure belonging to individuals and the contraband could have easily equalled the treasure on the manifests of all the ships. Much of the worked silver and gold was listed without any real value put to it, but what would it's be value today???. Note that Bonnie's Gold Pelican would not have been that big of a deal in 1715, but it is of extraordinary value today. Those artifacts could be priceless. Now let's talk about the Queen's Jewels...

Last edited:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the fisher and brisben inflated prices on the worth of treasure there could be zillions of dollars worth of treasure left.But keep in mind that if they flood the market with all those coins that the prices will come down to ebay prices.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will start a flurry of idiots going down there... trying to snorkel it up.
Watch... gonna get weird I bet.

In the Keys when the first of Margarita was found... it hit like a storm... within a week every tom dick and harry came out of the woodwork.
It was like the treasure hunters wild west...
And after Atocha... Oh god.

Sometimes no news is good news IMO.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am waiting to see if they pull up one of these out of that spot.

DiskAtocha.jpg

Never know...
Today could be the day...
They are definitely on the right spot...
I saw a photo of them on it and knew they were in a better area...
Working on out to line and back in should produce continuously for a bit at least

Last edited:

TreasureCDave

Jun 5, 2015
Florida Treasure Coast
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In the Keys when the first of Margarita was found... it hit like a storm... withing a week every tom dick and harry came out of the woodwork.
It was like the treasure hunters wild west...
And after Atocha... Oh god.

I thought about that. Seeing that its only feet from the beach, people snorkeling at night - jeesh!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about that. Seeing that its onlt feet from the beach, people snorkeling at night - jeesh!

There is no doubt someone will try it...
Its the nature of the beast it seems.
I hope not.
Seems like a "close nit" community though... anyone trying to "night dive" will be spotted I am sure.

This is why it needs to be worked hard ... thoroughly and quickly.

Man I am jealous...
With my rig I would scour that like a Plecostomus fish...
work in 2-3 hour intervals with minor breaks... 9 hour day min...
And leave no stone or crevice unchecked.

Just make sure I never run out of comp gas :)

Last edited:

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30 to 40 tons of silver coins left on just the Capitana and Almiranta of Ubilla 1.5+ million coins

Tip of the iceberg of treasure!!

as told to me.... treasure that will boggle your mind...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the close proximity to shore this is going to be tuff for them...
First off this is almost an invite.
The distance and depth should have been kept a secret IMO...
Too late now... cat is out of the bag.
Security patrols and so forth will/should be implemented.

This area is loaded up and down... and a ton more to be found IMO...
But now with this disclosed...
Wooo hoo look out for the "rodeo clowns".

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sensationalism of these sorts of things...
Generally is controllable due to the nature of the location(s)
But due to the unusual close location(s) of these items...
It should have been kept more on the DL until further along...
I know that part of the "story" that amazes is the closeness of these items...
But this can also be the part of the story that could haunt them.

Sometimes no attention is better.
I know they are excited...
But so will be the clowns.

Gold makes a lot of people looney tunes... and brings on the circus.
Just ask some of the guys who have been down this road.

Mel at display.jpg

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Haha Im just curious if anyone has done the math in regards to the 1715 manifests and what has been found and accounted for.

Impossible to estimate. There was as much or more contraband gold smuggled onto the ships as there was on the manifests.

OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or Brent is going to be suddenly flooded with requests for subcontracts!

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
The original estimate was 14m pesos in silver. That was on the Capitana and the Almiranta. In todays dollars, approximately $14,000,000,000 (that's billion for those that didn't count the zero's). There is really no way to tell what's left. After the King got his, the Spanish halted salvage efforts. The pirates, wreckers and what have you (looters) took a bundle for a few years until it was abandoned. Then we have modern day looters. The treasure belonging to individuals and the contraband could have easily equalled the treasure on the manifests of all the ships. Much of the worked silver and gold was listed without any real value put to it, but what would it's be value today???. Note that Bonnie's Gold Pelican would not have been that big of a deal in 1715, but it is of extraordinary value today. Those artifacts could be priceless. Now let's talk about the Queen's Jewels...
John, I think the big question is how much did the Spanish salvage? How much did Capt. Jennings and the other pirates salvage? How much did Mel Fisher and other modern day salvage companies salvage?
During the last 30 years how much has been salvaged? A few million here and there?

I personally have a very hard time believing that there are billions of dollars of treasure left. I say that because I think more salvage companies over the last 30 years would have been successful, if there was billions of dollars left on those 1715 wrecks that have already been found.
Just my opinion. I also congratulate the divers on the latest find. Great job.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
John, I think the big question is how much did the Spanish salvage? How much did Capt. Jennings and the other pirates salvage? How much did Mel Fisher and other modern day salvage companies salvage?
During the last 30 years how much has been salvaged? A few million here and there?

I personally have a very hard time believing that there are billions of dollars of treasure left. I say that because I think more salvage companies over the last 30 years would have been successful, if there was billions of dollars left on those 1715 wrecks that have already been found.
Just my opinion. I also congratulate the divers on the latest find. Great job.

I used to know those figures, however, those brain cells have lost their way due to the influence of that dreaded pirate affliction called "RUM"!. But let's not forget the "Lost Ships" in the fleet. Anyway, I'm inclined to believe there is still one or two billon still out there.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old man...
I think a lot of people over the centuries have "salvaged" those beaches.
Sheesh before they even knew they were there... guys found stuff all the time... stories and lore abounds.
Kip himself was shown tons of coins long before he found his first one.

I am sure loads have been found and removed... throughout time.
By ALL walks of life...
From natives on.

Last edited:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I used to know those figures, however, those brain cells have lost their way due to the influence of that dreaded pirate affliction called "RUM"!. But let's not forget the "Lost Ships" in the fleet. Anyway, I'm inclined to believe there is still one or two billon still out there.
John, I also believe there may be billions left on the unfounded 1715 wrecks.
I just don't believe there are billions left on the 1715 wrecks that have already been found.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billions? That figure must be based on prices obtained from the gift shops at Mel's museums. oops did I just say that?

I do believe though that there is much still to be found, pockets of which the Capitana have now come across and will continue as they work in close.
Kinda blows in a way for us beach hunters...I think it will eventually reduce our finds to some extent, in the years to come, I hope to be hunting until I'm 80.
The next generation won't be beach hunting much... unless its on a Xbox or PS4, maybe it will be a PS12 by then.
Millions $$$ yes.

Trez

Last edited:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Billions? That figure must be based on prices obtained from the gift shops at Mel's museums. oops did I just say that?

I do believe though that there is much still to be found, pockets of which the Capitana have now come across and will continue as they work in close.
Kinda blows in a way for us beach hunters...I think it will eventually reduce our finds to some extent, in the years to come, I hope to be hunting until I'm 80.
The next generation won't be beach hunting much... unless its on a Xbox or PS4, maybe it will be a PS12 by then.
Millions $$$ yes.

Trez
Trez, I think your estimate is closer to the truth. I did a little research on what was salvaged by the Spanish and by Capt Jennings.
Lost Ships of the 1715 Spanish Treasure Fleet (Lost Treasures Part 4) | joeccombs2nd
The Spanish immediately set about salvaging the shipwrecks, recovering over 5,000,000 pieces of eights worth of treasure by the end of the year. By the end of 1718, the Spanish authorities reported back to Spain that all of the registered treasure had been recovered.
http://www.1715fleetsociety.com/history-real-eight-company-documents-letters/
One British privateer, Henry Jennings, was particularly successful. In 1716, with several vessels and a few hundred men, Jennings’ Fleet ambushed the Spanish Salvage Camp forcing the retreat of around 60 soldiers. Jennings made off with an estimated 350,000 pesos.
If the Spanish reported all of the Register Treasure of those 1715 wrecks as being salvaged? How much is really left? What ever was deemed to be contraband ?
The 1715 Society put today's value of the Spanish Manifest of those 1715 wrecks at $100,000,000. If anyone would know they would.
I wish everyone out there doing salvage work on the 1715 wrecks, all the luck in the world, but I don't think there are Billions of dollars worth of Treasure Left on those sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread