DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it here in North Florida. I have a larger solid bag on my side for that stuff. A mesh bag doesn't work because the jagged edges of the trash can gouge your legs or pull and tear your wetsuit.

One of the worst things that we can do as treasure hunters is to leave a beach or park littered with things that we exposed from being buried. I have seen this happen. It doesn't matter who first buried the trash. What matters is the impression we leave. If the general public sees us dig a can out of the ground and then throw it down in plain view, then they look at us as litterers.

It is a good thing that you do and I hope for the sake of the hobby that most of us do the same. Any excuse people can use to ban us from beaches and parks is ammunition for them. We don't need to give them any more than they can think up on their own.

Take care,

Jim

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remove all the junk i dig up or see on the sand. I used to save all the smaller water trash in 5 gal. buckets for what reason i'll never know.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cans are recyclable up here in CT, so that's at least another .15 in clad.
It's frozen up here, well now it's raining like crazy, but a couple days ago I walked around at the highschool, found .61 clad, and picked up a pocket full of small trash. I won't have to remove it later with my detector. It still amazes me that people drop their garbage like the world is their trashcan. Ever since the Indian on the side of the highway crying....I'm aging myself.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Montauk3,

Good man! Haul that trash out. I also pick up trash even if there are no cans at the location to put it into. I believe that picking up trash, even if it's not ours is the single most important thing we can do to save our hobby.
I still see where people detecting have dug a hole, left the junk next to the hole and didn't even bother to fill the hole back in!! This is the height of laziness. Joe

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep a 5 gal. pail in my station wagon for the trash I pick up. Several times it has drawn favorable remarks from the park crew and public. It's just the right thing to do.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
HeyĀ  Ralph That'sĀ  pretty dangerousĀ  stuff layingĀ  onĀ  the beachĀ  forĀ  toddlerĀ  toĀ  step into . IĀ  haveĀ  15 month old babyĀ  hateĀ  haveĀ  toĀ  takeĀ  him toĀ  theĀ  hospitalĀ  forĀ  stitchesĀ  becauseĀ  someĀ  idiot forgotĀ  whereĀ  theĀ  trash cansĀ  wereĀ  located. I see that crapĀ  onĀ  the beachĀ  allĀ  theĀ  timeĀ  itĀ  just ticksĀ  meĀ  offĀ  toĀ  noĀ  endĀ  thatĀ  people can beĀ  thatĀ  friggon stupid ... nice job picking thatĀ  stuffĀ up,, you just saveĀ  someoneĀ  orĀ  a little guy likeĀ  mine aĀ  trip toĀ  hospital.. OutstandingĀ  ,, Guzz1

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II
Charlie P. (NY) said:
I keep a 5 gal. pail in my station wagon for the trash I pick up. Several times it has drawn favorable remarks from the park crew and public. It's just the right thing to do.

I do the same thing, have a bucket that it all goes into. I have a language barrier to deal with here, and showing a pocket full of trash to someone who is curious will stop alot of issues for me ;D

We live on an island, and the trash just never leaves. They have mandatory recycling here, but it amazes me how much trash the locals will leave lying around. Some local folks here aren't happy with us Americans having such a presence on such a small island, but they sure seem to be screwing it up more than we are!

Also, I don't think anyone who doesn't do this will respond!

HH
vegasmtl

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I keep what I dig up. But if I picked up everything in view on the beach
I would have to pull a dumpster behind me.

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
I can't tell you how much trash I've removed from our beaches -- it comes to much more than my "keepers."

I've discovered for myself why we have a law here that oak pallets are NOT allowed on the beach for bonfires. Nails. Rusty nails. I once pulled out a clump that must have weighed 2-3 pounds! One mother who saw me do so was *VERY* grateful for my civic-mindedness. Imagine if her young one stepped on that! (I know what that's like. As a kid, I once stepped on a rusty nail. I was lucky, my folks got me to the doctor right away for a tetanus shot. But imagine the tourists on our beaches!)

Keep up the good work -- more positive propaganda for our hobby!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to clean up a lakeside beach last fall, but it was so covered with beer cans broken glass and trash that I just couldn't do it alone. The lake was several feet below normal due to a drought last year and most of this stuff was normally out in the swimming area. I couldn't believe what nasty hogs some of our society is. Monty

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
Ive never detected on a beach (yet) but when I go surfing I always pick up sharp objects that I see and toss them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread