anyone ever dredge or prospect lake erie?

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just finished a 4 inch dredge and need to take it out and tweek it in , before going south.i know there would be glacial gold, but was curious if anybody has results of their xperience there. i know there are world class gold fields across the water, and those rivers have been dumping into the great lakes for ten thousand years. any info would be great.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
take it out where the swimmers go and find the gold n silver rings

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Considering the distance from the Canadian side, I'd be inclined to doubt that you would find much.

OP
OP
L

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the reply,i have seen some info on lake superior, i live close erie and hoped maybe someone had similar success,to justify my gas, and time,but i guess i will have to find out for myself,ive been studying currents and and actions of that water ,and i have this nagging idea that currents would have consentrated heavys just 80 to100ft out,not real deep there either, but there apears to be a subcurrent that flows on a curving swing towards ny, and i have seen black bands,in the beachsands just like lake superior, but havent explored anything there , yet . iam a little heasitant to get a dredge permit for pa, i do lots of prospecting in pa ,but no dredging here. i plan to go there with highbanker ,and see what comes ,maybe be back with dredge. its only 2hrs for me

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Considering the distance from the Canadian side, I'd be inclined to doubt that you would find much.

No one knows how many times the Midwest was glaciated but the general guess is 6 major glacial events. Some of these glaciers were a mile high and transported millions of tons of material as far south as the Kentucky border.
Some of the biggest copper deposits in the US were deposited by glacial activity. Many areas in the Midwest use buried valley aquifers as their cities water supply meaning that the amount of material moved is inconceivable by man.
The entire Midwest is flat as a pancake due to glaciers and the Midwest is HUGE into farming due to the quality of soil from ages of scraping/mixing/depositing/forming etc.
I have no doubt Erie has gold and to discount such a large area without knowing its history is a mistake.

OP
OP
L

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thx for the info, i am aware of the rules here in pa , pa is not very accomidating ,thats why i stick mainy while here in pa to looking for gemys,people may be surprised whats here,i ve been screwing around this hydro sulphide in my area ,it has historical lead mining, ive got some nice celestite ,and some nice specmins of the (ruby)sphalerite,but always testing wherever i am for gold. ill post some picks when get my cam situation figured out,as for erie i did make a day trip there, and was encouraged enough to go back.

OP
OP
L

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what i am not sure of is what is the governing body that covers erie waters ,is it national level or do the states,have juristiction, or a little of both,being inter national water ways , any info on this would be great.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the Corps Of Enginers now controll all waters,wetlands,private ponds/lakes in the United States.and they pass down the controll of this public lands to different agencies. the more they change, the more they stay the same!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread