Anyone ever offer a loaner to property owner?

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried a site search to see if this had been asked, but no luck.

In the near future I plan to do some door knocking. I wondered if anyone had ever offered to loan a property owner a detector to try and make their own finds (while you also detected)? I was reading a recent finds post (and didn't want to ask there) where they'd offered a "split", which I'm also considering as well, but wondered if letting them detect on their own might be a better option?

I would gladly give a "crash course" to them on my Compadre, and loan them a HF pinpointer and digger in order to keep them occupied, as well as possibly swaying them into granting permission.

Anyone ever consider, or try it?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Were it me...I'd never consider it. Its my hobby, not theirs... I don't want to sound like a tool, but the money spent on equipment, makes it real personal for me... If they lost something, I'd offer to look for it for free...
Splitting finds? Almost never...unless I really had to get my dig on, coupled with a slump.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Were it me...I'd never consider it. Its my hobby, not theirs... I don't want to sound like a tool, but the money spent on equipment, makes it real personal for me... If they lost something, I'd offer to look for it for free...
Splitting finds? Almost never...unless I really had to get my dig on, coupled with a slump.

Just for the sake of the topic....(meaning not trying to be ugly), and don't think you sound like a tool, I know where you're coming from.

It's property owners property we're asking to detect, and if they all looked at it that way, permissions would seldom be granted. I also should have specified in my OP I was talking about yards (not fields/woods/ungroomed areas). I also would stress that a MD is a fragile item, and needed to be treated as such.

I would play it by ear, wouldn't offer it at the beginning, but thought if I were gonna get rejected, might be worth a shot.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I almost exclusively hunt old yards, and my permission rate is about 4 out of 5 property owners say yes, without any stipulations. Getting permissions on a regular basis takes practice, confidence and luck. I almost never knock on doors either... Mostly if I have an eye on a potential hunt, I wait until I catch them working in the yard, or sitting on the porch...whatever situation I find them to be approachable, and my conversation usually starts with a compliment to their house or property, small chat about the neighborhood and its history, then hit them with the line that " I am your neighborhood treasure hunter, and I like to find old wheat pennies, and buffalo nickels..." Most people know what they are, and dont care about your minimal expectations.... no need to tell them you are also looking for old silvers, jewelry, and relics, as that will peak their interest more, then it gets a little bit more intense. Keep your permission request short and sweet, and if you get a no, be cool with it. I had a guy tell me no, then I started being friendly with him, waving as I'd drive by, then I approached him all excited with what I found in his neighbors yard, then walked away... then I did it again, two more times, then the fella gave in, because he became curious what was in his yard...If a permission was a guy my age, and we hit it off with a good rapport, that I could see us becoming friends, along with the number of beers he'd share with me...then I'd consider teaching him the ropes if he were interested.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope my batting average is anywhere close to yours :laughing7: :occasion14:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck Brian... be sure to post things that you find, (and not what your permissions find!):laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have offered many homeowners the use of my backup/loaner detector and have yet to have anyone take me up on it. I do think that Tony will want to use one when I detect his property. I may even allow him to take it on vacation. I have hunted the 2 neighboring houses and have pulled some silvers and plenty of IHPs. His brick house is from the late 1800s and was so huge it was converted into a nursing home for decades in the past.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck Brian... be sure to post things that you find, (and not what your permissions find!):laughing7:

Thanks, will do! Rain the next few days, so plenty of time to do a few drive-bys.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have offered many homeowners the use of my backup/loaner detector and have yet to have anyone take me up on it. I do think that Tony will want to use one when I detect his property. I may even allow him to take it on vacation. I have hunted the 2 neighboring houses and have pulled some silvers and plenty of IHPs. His brick house is from the late 1800s and was so huge it was converted into a nursing home for decades in the past.

Kind of how I figure most would react, but they may appreciate the offer enough to sway them in my direction.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done that several times. And sometimes I also offer my finds, I mean come on, one can only dig and own so many seated dimes or two cent pieces...right? :laughing7:

Anyhow, what usually happens is, you spend more time helping the owner with his "finds" than you do detecting your own in the yard.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have offered several times,it nailed the "ok".only once did someone take me up on it and we had a blast.in fact,it was that hunt that I found my banner find.I always carry a backup with me anyways.

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done that several times. And sometimes I also offer my finds, I mean come on, one can only dig and own so many seated dimes or two cent pieces...right? :laughing7:

Anyhow, what usually happens is, you spend more time helping the owner with his "finds" than you do detecting your own in the yard.

Agreed. It's not like the majority of finds hold much (if any) value, other than just taking pride in finding them. I think I'd have to tell the property owner, if they accepted the offer, that digging trash is just part of it. They may become dis-interested pretty quickly. I'd probably get a kick out of them finding something as much as I would finding it myself.

I have offered several times,it nailed the "ok".only once did someone take me up on it and we had a blast.in fact,it was that hunt that I found my banner find.I always carry a backup with me anyways.

I try to look at things from the others perspective, and would think they'd appreciate the offer, if they accepted or not. Congrats on the Banner find!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cjon and I decided the next time we knock on a door and hear " I have a detector" or " My 2nd cousin is getting one for his bar mitzvah ", we are gonna say " Ok, let's have a little contest. We all detect your yard and whomever gets the best find takes it all! Deal?".

Not gonna loan 'em a detector when they obviously are looking for clever ways to just say " No ".

OP
OP
Crappies-n-Coins

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not gonna loan 'em a detector when they obviously are looking for clever ways to just say " No ".

I guess I relate that to "not knowing what's buried until you recover it". Maybe they're being upfront, maybe just looking for a more polite way of saying "no". Either way, if I've already spent my time (and theirs) to make contact with them about permission to MD their property, what's another 30 seconds to add "If you have any interest, I have an extra detector"?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes every time I get to hunt any property I offer to let them go hunt with me. I have never had any want to hunt but some will follow me around just to see the process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions